Denon 1802 Problems With New Dolby Digital tracks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Bell, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered this receiver yesterday, well today I read on hometheaterspot.com a post about the Denon 1602 and 1802 having a problem with Dolby Digital tracks on newer discs encoded in DD EX. They also mentioned in the thread that Denon and Dolby have acknowledged the problem and that it basically involves older 5.1 receivers without the new 6.1 decoder chip. The DTS tracks work fine on these discs though. So my question is do all DVDs with DD EX tracks also have DTS or are there gonna be DVD that I just cant buy? I guess I should have done a little more research[​IMG].

2. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Jason,

I have the 1802, and the only discs I currently have with a DD EX track are "The Phantom Menace" and "The Terminator" films. There were no drop-outs with mine. I have heard of this problem on certain titles, but I've never experienced it myself as of yet. You should be able to purchase any disc you want, and never, NEVER, worry about problems like this until they arise. I don't know a single receiver on this forum that hasn't been plagued with some kind of problem at one time or another. Enjoy, and if you have these problems, then make sure you have your trusty warranty (and have bought it through an authorized Denon dealer. I may or may not ever encounter this problem, as I primarily buy older classics & foreign films.

Reg

3. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Reggie,
    Thanks that makes me feel a little better[​IMG]

4. Alexis

Alexis Stunt Coordinator

It has the problem with pearl harbor, atlantis, and jurassic park. The onkyo's and outlaw 1050 also have these problems. The fix is to use the dvd's in dts mode.

5. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks Alexis.

There you have it Jason. I don't own either of these films mentioned by Alexis, but I did rent "Pearl Harbor." As most will probably do on a film like this, I watched the DTS track and never touched the DD track. Hopefully, this problem will be corrected at some point down the road.

Reg

6. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Reggie,
    The problem is solved. [​IMG] It was a bad codec that was used by dolby and they have told the studios to stop using it. Combine that with a Cirrus chip that did not ignore the flag like it was supposed to and you have the problem.. Other than the 4 or 5 discs out there, there should be no more.
    jim