Denon 1802 problems !!! HELP NEEDED !!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TincekB, Dec 18, 2001.

1. TincekB

TincekB Auditioning

The left channel hisses and crackles during more refined recordings ( Jan Garbarek ) with the volume above -10. I tried everything : exchanging cables, cd players, cinch cables and the problem seems to be analog inputs !!! Even tried to hook up the cd to another input.Same result. With CD player hooked with optical cable, everything works fine !!! And,it's not the speakers, because it does the same thing with the headphones out. I still don't know what to do...Maybe it's the preamp section ??? Should I return it ???? Tin

I'm using B&W CDM 1 SE front speakers.

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Tin: Most Denons allow you to do a reset of the microprocessor. The procedure for how this is accomplished is outplined in the owner's manual. (Be aware you will lose all of your personalized settings when you reset the receiver.)

After the reset, if left channel problems continue in both the headphone output and the left speaker, try swapping (at the back of the receiver) the wires going to the right and left main speakers. If the hiss/crackle switches to the right speaker, then you have a problem you can't fix...

(Also, make certain your speaker wires are all ok. No loose or stray strands and no splices.)

3. TincekB

TincekB Auditioning

Tried reseting the processor and everything is the same

>>> nothing happened. It seems to help to hook the CD player with a variabel line output, put the line out a little lower... Or could I be hearing things... I'm going nuts over this one !!

4. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

TincekB, I had what sounds like the same exact problem with the center channel of my Denon 3200. It's been well documented on this forum over the last few weeks. In the end, I sent it to Denon in Pinebrook NJ 3 times before they decided they couldn't fix it and replaced my 3200 with a 3801. It's a B stock item but I can't see why. It's physically and operationally perfect.

In my case, I was able to make the problem go away by either raising the volume or selecting another input source and then re-selecting the DVD player (or CD if that's what I was using when I heard the hissing). I described what I heard as "spitty".

Give them a call. It's 1-973-396-7499 and speak to Christina.

Good luck.