Denon 1802 or 2802 - just can't decide...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lou Loomis, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

been trying to decide on a receiver for my parent's home theater setup for weeks now. Finally decided on Denon, the 1802 for that matter. Then, like anything, the more I read the boards, etc., I started thinking "maybe the 2802 would be better?"

6 Ave. and JandR have the 1802 for around $350, and the 2802 for around $590. While that's a good price for the 2802, I just don't know if their needs warrant spending the extra money.

I was thinking the 2802 might be important for component switching. They have a Sony 34" 16:9 HDTV (built in decoder), Sony progressive scan DVD, and Polk 6600 speakers. The room it's in is quite large (20x30-high ceilings) but they're not going to be cranking it. The TV has component In, which is how it is currently hooked up. I figured "they'd find it simpler to just hit one button to watch DVD's, rather than one on both the TV and receiver." I don't know what future components they might hook up, but as the 2802's component ins only have 27mhz bandwith, maybe for something "high-def" (a future TIVO that records HDTV???) the switching wouldn't be useful anyway???

basically if I felt the 2802 was necessary for their needs they'd go with it. but I don't want them spending more than they need to. particularly since the volume from the regular TV has already brought "that's too loud" comments...

I know there is extra wattage and formats, but is the extra $250 worth it for their needs?

thanks

(I suppose I could wait for the 1803 to come out for some additional features, but will it be August, or keep getting delayed like video game releases?)

2. Rodon

Rodon Second Unit

1802 would be enough. The 3802 for $699 would be there last receiver most likely. Even if Dad and mom got into regular music listening in the future - they could go pre/pro. That and the zone feature would be nice - somone else could listen to music while some else quietly watched HT with 7.1.

$590 and $699 are real close in price.

For the money the 3802 is a good buy!!

Otherwise I doubt they really need a high dollar Denon.

3. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

If you want to save money, wait for the 1803. It will have component switching according to the (somewhat hidden) infosheet on the Denon site.

4. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Visually, here is a comparison of the 1802 with the 2802
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Basically, the differences are these:
    2802 is 7.1 while the 1802 is 5.1. Do they need 7.1?
    2802 is 90watts/ch while the 1802 is 80watts/ch in 8 ohms. No biggie here.
    2802 has component switching. 1802 doesn't.
    More inputs on the 2802, of course. Do you need the extra inputs?
    2802 has ajustable SW crossover (80,100,120) while the 1802 is stuck at whatever setting it's set to. (probably 80hz)
    2802 you get a built in AM/FM Tuner.
    The 1802 seems to suit their needs better at the expense of loosing one or two other requirements. You could spend extra on the 2802 and get those extra things you need at the extra expense of getting other things you don't need.
    In this situation, Personally I would wait for the 1803 which will be 7.1, have component video, a tuner and a few other additions. If it does come out in August, it's not far away, unless like you said there is a delay.

5. Lou Loomis

Thanks for the very helpful replies.

Geoff, your comparison was particularly helpful. And surprisingly the biggest difference I was not aware of was the 1802's lack of an am/fm tuner. For some reason I just figured these were "givens" on receivers (thought that's what they were referring to as "receiving.") I figured only separates lacked the tuner. anyway, I never would have even looked for this, so thank you. It actually may influence my decision as I'm sure my folks would like the ability to listen to radio broadcasts on occasion.

Colin, can you tell me how to find the hidden 1803 specs on the Denon site? I'd be curious if they upped the bandwith on the component switching for example. If I knew more specs and if it was coming out the first or second week in August, I'd possibly wait.

Otherwise, might be going the 2802 route. While not much of a Home Theater issue, an am/fm tuner might be that one last "justification" I needed.

Thanks all.

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

7. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Lou, go to the catalog, click the "info" icon to bring up the PDF for the 1403 (or copy the link location if you don't want to bother downloading the 1403 PDF), then change 1403 in the URL to 1803. That should bring up the PDF for the 1803.

8. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Lou,
    Wayne is right and being very gentle. The 1802 has an AM/FM tuner. I don't know what the heck Geoff S was referring to.
    No big deal...I just got through editing one of mine on AVS...severe cranial malfunction.[​IMG]

9. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Wow...scared me for a minute. No tuner in the 1802?

Anyways, I, too, am going to buy one of these receivers. I really don't need the component switching, and for the jump in $$ to go up to the 2802, I think my better value is the 1802. My question is.....at what street price do you all thin the 1803 will come in at? The 1802 for $325 at 6th Ave is really good. I don't know if its worth waiting for the 1803 if its going to come in at a $500+ price like the 2802's are at now.

Aaron

10. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Retail on the 1803 is 499.95

11. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

If it's set to MSRP the same, I'm sure it will street the same pretty soon.

12. Lou Loomis

ok, I bit the bullet and went with the 2802 from 6ave. Per other comments on the board, Phil there is very helpful.

the 2802 is for my folk's place. I'm still uncertain as to what I'm getting for myself, so may wait for the infamous 1803.

thanks for everyone's help.

13. Geoff S

Sorry Lou about the mistake of information on the 1802 not having a tuner. :b
    When I checked the specs it was not mentioned, and the rear pannel photo wasn't working so I concluded that it didn't come with one to save costs. Oops.
    I checked the manual and it indeed does have a tuner, so I hope I didn't steer you towards buying something more expensive for no reason. [​IMG]
    Pays to double check any info you get sometimes I guess.

14. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone care about preouts?

That would be enough for me let alone that predeliction for spring clip terminals.

T.

15. Rodon

Rodon Second Unit

Tony - What does predeliction mean??
    Maybe someday teh pre-outs will come in handy - espically if UBID ever gets their parasound amps back in stock [​IMG]
    Geoff - what was the price on the 2802? I checked out a few local shops and they were $800 - It was only $699 for the 3802 from 6ave online.
    I love the 3802. Today however I used a Yamaha remote that is just like the TSU2000 - I want one bad now. They are very cool.

16. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

My local dealer has a 2802 on sale next week for $640. I plan to buy one!

17. Geoff S

2802 MSRP'd for $799
    3802 MSRP'd for $999
    NOW the 3802 can be aquired for as low as $699 at places like 6th Avenue (They're a Denon AUTHORIZED E-TAILER!)
    If you have a local dealer still selling them at MSRP tell them about this, and they should drop it unless they have a policy that states that they cannot adjust their prices based on what's avaliable online or out of state (Tweeter does this type of policy, is why I'm loosing faith in them [​IMG] ). In which case buy online.
    The 2802's new price however is not listed, but you can find out real quick by calling 6th Avenue Electronics at 1-866-666-6AVE It'll probably be something like $499. Quite a steal.
    What's happening is they're starting to clear them out for the 3803 and 2803 (and of course 1803) models that'll be coming in soon. I've heard August, I've heard September, so I'm not sure, but should be sometime in this quarter.
    I just wish they'd drop the price on the 4802! $2,499! I've ordered one from a real good e-tailer, but unfortuanately had to loose getting a Authorized Warrenty[​IMG] to get it for $1,799. Only thing nice to know is that it wont be discontinued soon for a 4803 cause there haven't been any price drops and no talk of a new model. So mine should stay top of the line for a longer time.

18. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Geoff, I ran into the same stumbling block at Tweeter. Also, they have the Denon 3802 listed as being marked down to $999 from $1199 - at least in our local Tweeter store. Of course, $999 is the MSRP!

cheers,

--tom

19. Geoff S

It's $999 according to Denon, and that's the official word on that. I think it was $1,199 when it first came out just for a few weeks, but they wanted it to be a receiver for under a thousand dollars ($1 under a thousand bucks, which after tax, shipping whatever is well over a thousand dollars anyhow, go figure. I've never been influenced by a $X99 price even if is does look good on paper. To me it's always $Y00).

...Unless Tweeter was charging more than the MSRP? Except that wouldn't of lasted more than a day cause everyone would of told them it's $999 everywhere else. Or they did a false markdown to make it look like a sweet deal.

I'm getting a little tired of Tweeter cause in a short time I spent well over $4,000 there and my only benifits seem to be getting catalogs in the mail from time to time. Except once I got a catalog that had coupons for hundreds of dollars off select components.. except that deal lasted two days only and during those two days i didn't have the time or the money to take advantage of them on such short notice. I'm going to go back there and see if I can get a pair of Boston Acoustics VR-MX surrounds whch MSRP for $799 for $600 plus tax... being how I've been such a valued "prefered customer".

I bet they say no.

20. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Not to turn this thread into a Tweeter thread [​IMG] but the Tweeter here is currently having a clearance sale and while there were few good deals on receivers (other than a few demo models that were cheap - not the Denon 1802, 2802, or 3802 models though), they did have some nice deals on tvs - $1999 for the 34HF71 - cheapest price I've seen locally. My other quirk with Tweeter is that I never can get help when I go in there. I can stand there patiently waiting for 15-20 minutes and I'll be completely ignored. Granted I'm usually turned off by aggressive sales people when I'm just browsing but you'd think Tweeter would like to try and assist a customer and possibly make a sale.
    cheers,
    --tom