What's new

Denon 1801 or Sony STR-DB930... Your thoughts (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I'm assisting a buddy at work with purchasing a DD/DTS receiver and recently found a gently used Denon 1801 and Sony STR-DB930 for about the same cost($225-$250).
He will be pushing Paradigm mini monitors up front, not sure about a center or sub and in-wall paradigm surround speakers with this receiver. I told him that I have and like the combination of Paradigm speakers with a Denon receiver but wasn't sure if the Sony STR-DB930 was better.
He said he'll be about 10-12 feet away from the front speakers and TV.
Please add comments or suggestions on which one of these receivers mentioned you prefer for the job.

I appreciate your help.

Brian

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies so far.

What about if I found a Harmon Kardon AVR-110 into the comparison mix for the same cost?

Brian

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Agreed, the H/K would be a better choice, but for that price, you can get a newer model. Directly through Harmanaudio.com you can get a refurb 120 for $200 and a 220 for $300.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I've read a few reviews here and at audioreview.com about some lower-end to mid-fi receivers from HK are prone to be less reliable than most other reputable receivers.

Have you experienced this yourselves or heard anything similar?

I really like the solid build quality of the Denon 1801, is the HK AVR 110, 120, 125 of similar quality?

Another consideration would be the AVR-110, 120 and 125 are all rated much lower per channel than the 70 watts on the Denon...
Would there be a noticable difference in sound quality and overall volume between the respective Denon and HK receivers?

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks