What's new

denon 1712..what am i doing wrong? (1 Viewer)

cmart

Auditioning
Real Name
craig
only getting sound out of FL and FR speakers while watching tv. have done the auto setup with the mic multiple times, with multiple resets, all speakers (klipsch 500 - floor model from best buy) make sound and work fine while running setup wizard. i can go through the settings and get static sound from each speaker individually, so i know that they are getting signal and are working. i can plug each speaker to FL or FR and get sound no problem, but cannot get center or RL/RR to make any sound at all when they should be playing. all i have hooked up right now is my dish vip722 dvr via hdmi to the receiver, and the receiver hdmi to the tv.
what am i doing wrong? i have done every possible thing that i can think of. they just refuse to play! i have them set up in 5.0 right now because i dont have the sub cable at this time. any help?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The things that could make that happen are the Dish receiver is set to output stereo only and the receiver is set to Direct Mode. Make sure the receiver is set to output Digital or Dolby or whatever term it uses. Change the receiver to Stereo or Auto then select one of the DSP modes like Dolby ProLogic, All Channel Stereo, etc. Make sure Speaker B is turned off and that you have the Front speakers connected to the Speaker A terminals on the back of the avr.
The Speaker A/B thing really can cause a lot of issues.

cmart

Auditioning
Real Name
craig
it also only plays out of the 2 channels when i have the radio playing. it is some sort of setting on the receiver itself, i will try to figure out how to change what you said. this thing is confusing as hell..

cmart

Auditioning
Real Name
craig
figured it out..worked on this thing for about 6 hours over the last 2 days, and all it was was i had to push the "movie" button and select "multi chan stereo" ... sheesh :rolleyes:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It will get less confusing as you use it. Here's something might help. http://batpigworld.com/setup.html
You must have had it in Direct Mode which will only play the signal as it is received. Stereo will only be played in stereo. Hitting the Movie button took the receiver out of Direct Mode.
Multi-Channel Stereo is O.K. for music but might be too much for movies/tv. You should also have Dolby ProLogic and DTS Neo:6 (Cinema and Music) available which are a bit more realistic.

cmart

Auditioning
Real Name
craig
this thing is rediculous. now ive been trying for 3 hours to get my 360 to show up via hdmi to the receiver. all i get is no signal at the bottom of my tv. i have browsed batpig for about 30 minutes and changed every hdmi option that he lists, i have reset the receiver, i have plugged the component back in to the tv to change settings on the xbox, im ready to throw this thing out the door! why cant you just plug something in and it work?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Try turning the components on in this order (and take your time between steps just to be sure)

XBox
Receiver
TV

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To help us, help you...
Which HDMI are you using on the back of the Denon?
I would also assume(I don't have one) you have to turn on the HDMI in the XBox.
It is VERY COMMON to have to hook up your XBox and Denon to your TV twice...
Then once your set-up is done, you remove the extra connections.
This stuff is NOT "plug 'n play"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quirkyperks
Recent bookmarks