1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 1603 owners!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cyrus_I, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Cyrus_I

Cyrus_I Stunt Coordinator

I just got the AVR 1603 a week ago and I'm loving the sound to death. I'm just wondering what the difference between Direct and Stereo modes is and which is preferred for 2ch music.

Any other comments are welcome as well.

Cheers

2. Cyrus_I

Just a quick answer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

3. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

I can't answer your question, but do have some questions for you... I am thinking about getting the 1603 around the first of the year and would like to hear some feedback from an owner. How does it perform in ht? Music? How does switched video look through it? What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? Basically all the questions that one wants answered before shelling out this kind of money. Thanks.

4. Jeff Braddock

has this thread been forgotten?

5. Cyrus_I

Hey Jeff,

I love the 1603. I had the Yamaha RX-V530 for about a week but decided to audition the denon at home due to it's positive reviews on music. As soon as I put the denon in it blew me away. Music in Stereo sounded much more fuller and had a much better mid-range bass response. The Denon does everything the yamaha did so I decided to trade. Not to say that the Yamaha was bad though, in fact, I think the ergonomics HT options on the Yammy were slightly better. Keep in mind that I am in no way and audio expert though. The Denon just had a different sound which I so happened to prefer. As far as dislikes go, there are just a few little things that I liked on the yammy that the denon doesn't have like automatic video switching and longer pauses when changing between sound modes. Those are just personal things though.

Anything else I can answer?

Cheers

6. Phuong

Phuong Stunt Coordinator

Direct Mode bypasses the digital circuitry (including bass management) in the receiver, sending full range analog signal to the speakers. As the name implies, this mode applies only when using analog audio inputs, so there is already a stage of digital-to-analog conversion (from CD player) or already-analog audio (phono, VCR) that doesn't get digitized (which some people believe adds another potentially degrading "layer" to the sound.

Stereo mode utilizes the receivers digital circuitry, enabling bass management, so you can have a 2.1 channel setup.

7. Jeff Braddock

Those have been the 2 I am kicking around in my mind (530 and 1603). From auditions in the shop, I think I will probably go with the Denon. Is the delay the only complaint? How does it do in HT? What speakers are you using and does it seem to have any problem pushing them? Thanks for answering my questions.

8. Cyrus_I

Thanks for the response Phuong.

Jeff, The Denon performs very well in HT, if not just as good as the Yamaha. I think the Yamaha has a better reputation in HT because of more DSP sound fields. The denon is powering four 5" Pro-Linear speakers plus a Pro-Linear Center and 10" sub. These aren't the greatest speakers but I got an exceptional deal on them because they're a local company (vancouver). They are doing a stand up job for me right now though. Then Denon has no trouble powering theses things at all and in fact produced a more noticeable mid range bass from them. My advice is to audition both recievers at your own house with your own speaker set up.

Cheers

9. Jeff Braddock

well, I only have a couple of tower speakers now that I got when I graduated hs and I plan on buying some different speakers when I graduate college (assuming I get enough dough) [​IMG] I plan on getting a different brand so a home auditoin is kinda out of the question. Do you have any video running through it? If so, how does it look?

10. Cyrus_I

I'm running a gamecube through it and it looks just fine (A/V recievers don't really modify image to my understanding), but I can defenitely tell you it makes my games encoded with ProLogicII sound amazing.

Cheers

11. Jeff Braddock

Cool. Thanks for the review.

12. David Markowitz

David Markowitz Auditioning

I just got an AVR 1603 too. It is in my bedroom system. I am driving Triad System 7 fronts (2 sats + low-woofer), an old Yamaha center, and a couple nice Mission speakers as rears that I had lying around. Top off this mishmash with a small, old Denon "Super Woofer" that I had on my Denon M30(?) mini-system.
    You don't want to hear how all this happened, but believe it or not it sounds pretty good! Not as good as my living room system with a 5600 driving a full Rocket set + VTF-3 [​IMG], but for an assortment of semi-retired left-overs, the 1603 actually acts as an anchor and makes it all sound good!
    I haven't spent any time yet calibrating all this, but soon... I may also decide to add a true sub eventually, such as a VTF-2.

13. Jeff Braddock

So you are happy as well? Since you got the 1603, have you ever thought man, I wish I would have gotten x? Thanks.

14. David Markowitz

David Markowitz Auditioning

Happy? Sure. I really haven't even finished the setup yet, so how could I be unhappy? Too busy watching Angels' parades, the Lakers' ring ceremony, etc. Maybe tonight...
    I should also add that I chose the 1603 over its competitors for two overriding reasons; my long experience and satisfaction with Denon equipment (and a local national service center in Cerritos for when things go worng), and the fact that, at 5.8" high, it has more air space left in my 7" space than all the others I considered.
    The weaknesses of the 1603 were not a problem for me. I'm not using it to switch any video because my three video sources are the TV itself (both OTA NTSC/ATSC and a built-in HD DirecTV tuner), a prog. scan DVD using component inputs, and a DirecTiVo using S-Video. Thus, the limited component bandwidth is not an issue. It would have cost a great deal more to get a receiver that can up-convert from s-video to component, so to go through the receiver would gain me nothing. I have to switch the TV input and the receiver input together. A smart remote will handle that for me (once I finish programming it - see above).
    If I ever replace my DirecTiVo with an HD version with component output (not likely, with the advent of DVI and FireWire), I'll have to use the receiver for switching component, since my TV only has one component input. In this case the 28 MHz or so will do for 480p (the output of the DVD). It may limit the quality of the other HD source.
    I don't expect to ever want 6 or 7 channels in my bedroom. I can live with 5.1.
    All in all, a perfect fit! So yes, I'm happy. [​IMG]

15. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I have had a 1603 for 3 months now. I "upgraded" from an older Denon AVR 2600. I needed built in decoding for my XBox, extra Digital inputs my 2600 did not have and the 2600 was 5.1 ready but only 25 x2 in the rear (not enough). It was however superior on music with 110 W x 2 in stereo and 100 x 3 in front in surround.

I noticed a definite drop in sound quality in stero on my old (and hard to drive) Def Tech DR7s.

I now have Paradigm Monitor 7s CC370 and Pw 2200 SUB and Atom rears. There spears are more efficient and seem a bit ahppier witth the 80 WPC of the 1603. With the sub (crosses over at 80 HZ) the strain on the amp seems less during movies. I found it easy to set up (despite missing the on screen programming. I can notice no degredation (svideo only no component on my sorry TV) with switching using the 1603. I think the 5.1 decoding is good making movies exciting and I love the Pro Logic II for TV! The remote ...ummm..well it blows. A few glow in the dark buttons the rest are ..well lets just say it blows.

Overal I am happy with the 1603 it has good clean sound, as much power as an 1803 (But only X5 not X6) and equal power to the old 1802. I could not find a good name receiver Yamaha, onkyo, Maranz HKetc not JVC Sony etc that was more powerful for the price. My only regrest are the lack of more power (to get to a 100 WPC Denon nearly doubl;s the price I paid and the lack of pre outs. The 1802 had them (but was nerly $250 canadian more). the lack of pre outs means I will need to sell or trade it in in a year or 2 when I move to a bigger house or room as I can't add an external amp. I think at the price point it is one of the best ($550 Canadian) but there was not another Denon in the $600-1200 range I would buy I think I would have to go with something else unless I could move up to something with at least 100 wpc in Denon.

16. Jeff Braddock

Well, I ended up getting an 1803. I really like it. My only complaint, like JamieS, is that it has not preouts. As far as the wpc goes, I think that it has 100 x 2 in stereo mode dosen't it? I think I seen that in the manual or something, but am to lazy to dig it out.

17. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Nope 80 x 2 in stereo mode checked both the manual and spec sheet. My old AVR 2600 was rated 110 x 2 in stereo and 100 x 3 in surround. I don't know if they just changed their ratings or if they have a different type of amp configuration now. Next step up in power now is 2802 at 90 wpc and then all the way up to 3803 to get 110 wpc. Wow 3x the price of my 1603 to gain 30 WPC (I know there is more to it than that) i wish there were a few more choices in the denon line.

18. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

JamieS, Denon's website for Asia quotes for 1603:

100w x 2/100w/100 w x 2 (8 ohms JEITA)
    70w x 2 /70 w/70 w x 2 (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20kHz, 0.08% THD)

Are they different in Canada and US in power as I see that you quoeted 1603's wattage as 80w twice?

19. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

I browsed through the thread, and hope this hasn't been mentioned, but Direct also bypasses and Treble and Bass settings. Stereo mode applies those settings. Direct is the flat sound coming from your component. Flat, as in no enhancements or processing.

I guess what I'm saying is - you can turn up the treble on you want but it won't affect the Direct mode...

... Greg

20. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator