Denon 1602 volume setting -60 to +18

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelWRX, Jun 19, 2002.

1. MichaelWRX

MichaelWRX Auditioning

I have a question,

I have the 1602 and read and know that the volume setting goes from -60 to +18. This is when you do not increase any one channels volume in the setup otherwise the +18 will reduce by the amount of the increase over 0. Ie if you increase front's in a mode to +2db then max volume becomes +16.

My question is, the +18 applies to all modes with the exception of PLII and DD and DTS.

If you do not increase any channels volume the max setting you will get in PLII is +15 and in DD/DTS is +9. Anyone know of the reason?

Perhaps it's a results of the decoding. Ie in PLII you have it decoding the rear channel but in DD/DTS you have more channels being decoded (more channels = less headroom??)

Cheers
    Michael

2. Alexis

Alexis Stunt Coordinator

It is the same way with my 1602. I haven't had the chance to test the other denon models yet, but I can't figure out why this is the case either.

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

It'a same on every Denon models I owned.
    Once any channel's "trim" is over "0" db then it will reduce the master volume by that same amount.
    It only makes sense,you are increasing the output of that channel,you can't get it for "free".

4. MichaelWRX

MichaelWRX Auditioning

Yep but my question is more:

Why is the max volume setting in PLII only +15
    Why is the max volume setting in DD/DTS +9

Mchael

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

On my Rotel the bass levels are compensated specially for those modes so I wonder if the bass is why those modes have a lower upper limit...either way you'd be deaf long before you reached plus 10 on a denon[​IMG]

6. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

This is interesting...never realized that different sound modes have different sound volumes. But like Andrew said I would never go that high on my Denon 3802

7. MichaelWRX

MichaelWRX Auditioning

Yeah. Not a biggie....Just an observation.....The additional sound dynamic of DD and DTS more than compensates for the lower max volume.

Michael