Denon 1600's at Crutchfield

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brian L, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

At the time of this writing, Crutchfield's has Denon 1600's in stock.

I have been on the fence about getting one of these, and went to their site to see if they might have had a scratch and dent.

I know there have been some recent posts that they are getting scarce, and in fact they were not in stock earlier this week.

This will be an interesting comparison for me. I currently have a Pioneer 45A, which is 3rd from the last at Secrets for video performance. I will have the 1600 in the rack at the same time, which is rated second best ever behind the RP82.

FWIW, I have been pretty happy with the 45a, but have been wanting to see what a really top rated player would look like. By next Tuesday, I should know.

BGL

2. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I think you will be impressed. I bought a refurbished 1600 about 6 weeks ago, and I was skeptical about whether or not I would notice a difference in video performance from my Toshiba SD4800. But it was definitely there. Hard to quantify, but the picture seemed cleaner and crisper. I think the sound is better too. I will be tempted to upgrade only when I can find an equivalent performer, but with DVI output.

3. Ray G

Ray G Extra

I actually picked one up from Crutchfield earlier this month. It replaced a JVC XV-D723GD that I have had for a couple of years now. I'm very happy that I was able to get one of these before they were all gone! Biggest improvement over the JVC is the DVD-Audio performance, which is much much better in every way. Hi rez now sounds like hi rez! Also, I can now get a clean DTS bitstream (the JVC always caused skips in DTS playback, a glitch that was never worth fixing).

Color rendition appears better on the 1600, and of course I now get true progressive scan performance on DVDs w/ problematic flags. The JVC would switch to the softer-looking video modes on those discs (such as many of my recent Disney DVDs).

All in all the Denon 1600 will serve my needs quite well for the next couple of years until I need a DVI interface and/or a common digital connection is developed for DVD-A/SACD playback. get one while they are still available!

4. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I bought one earlier today from Crutchfield. He said they had plenty in stock. I was shocked to see that they were actually the cheapest authorized dealer that I could find. The 3 stores in town wanted $499 still.[​IMG]