1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

denon 1600 vs 3800 audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Wata, May 10, 2002.

1. Mark Wata

Mark Wata Auditioning

I waited for the denon 1600 and 3800 because they have bass management.I looked at the specs at the Denon site but I am confused. Since dvd-audio is my primary use is there a noticeable difference in sound quality between the two units playing dvd-audio discs.

Thanks

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark, I haven't listened to either player, but I suspect there would be a significant different in sound quality between them. Without even consideration of DACs, the '3800 should show better internal build quality, such as a better power supply, analog output stage, and capacitors. Also, the '3800 could very well have a better transport as well. I would fully expect the '3800 to be a better audio component, but I would like to do the comparison.

3. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    The 1600 doesn't have full bass management. It has a low pass filter only. The mains remain full range while bass info below 100 Hz is added to the LFE channel.

The 3800 has a full crossover at 80 Hz. It also has time alignment 0-15ms.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, thanks for the info. While bass management on the '3800 doesn't appear to be ideal (no adjustable crossover), it is an improvement over the '1600.