What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Denon 1600 problem (1 Viewer)

Michael_V

Second Unit
Got this unit about three weeks ago. Every once in a while when I power on, I will get either an "F893" error message or the "Welcome to DVD World" message will repeat over and over. Turning it off and then on again a couple of times usually clears it up, but it makes me nervous nonetheless since my old Panasonic RP91 did the same thing before it finally crapped out!

Anyone have any thoughts?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
How long is the return policy at the place you bought it? Seriously I'd either exchange it or have it serviced as it sounds like the lasers not picking up the data properly.

matt-f

Second Unit
I would refund that right away. Perhaps get the DVD-1200 which replaces the 1600(discontinued) and see what happends.

Michael_V

Second Unit
Thanks guys. What bad luck, eh? Anyway, there is a 90 day no questions asked return policy where I bought it. Since I have about 70 days left, I think I will keep it around only long enough to find a replacement. Unfortunately, this store no longer carries the 1600, so I have to decide whether to try to find another one somewhere else or move over to another player. Hmmmmm. . . .

matt-f

Second Unit
Hi,

You can actaully get the Denon DVD-1200 from Crutchfield. They have it in stock. Also a free shipping deal too going on with them too.

Hope this helps.

Michael_V

Second Unit
Matt,

Thanks for the heads up. I think I am going to wait on the new Denons until I hear more about them, including user experiences and hopefully reviews from Stacey Spears and company on the Secrets site. As much as I like Denon and appreciate their commitment to making a solid HT product, many of their players seem to have performance hampering issues when they come out of the gate (YC delay on the 3800, for example). The upcoming 2200 did catch my eye, though I am really not sure how much I am going to like the Mits MPEG decoder, which (if it is the same one currently in the 2900) has been described as "blocky" and "accurate but not the best decoding we have seen." Panasonic decoders have always been my favorite (hence the 1600 purchase).

matt-f

Second Unit
Hi!

Well I do have an RP-82 as well so that's pretty good. I Was thinking of a Denon 1200 as my backup unit but wasn't sure because of the Philips 963SA which uses the newer FLI DcDI. About the Secrets site, I've actally been there for the shootout. I too wonder when the new shootout will turn out, but when it comes, I'll buy a dvd unit right away! =)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Might want to give the Denon 4800 a shot if you're interested in a 5-disc changer. It's a panasonic based player and has all the scaling features of the RP91 as well as the addition of Burr Brown DACs and Bass Management. PQ should be exactly the same as the RP91 and sound on DVD-A should be far superior. Ecost has it factory-refurbished for $320 and they are a denon authorized reseller for their factory refurbished stuff.

At nearly $900 less than retail it's definitely going to be the replacement for my RP91. It's taken me forever to find a player w/ scaling that's better than the RP91, and turns out it's just a beefed up version of the player i have... if i get it and everything is kosher i think i'll be dvd-player satisfied for quite awhile :)

Joel~Solid

Agent
Perhaps get the DVD-1200 which replaces the 1600
The 1200 is not the replacement for the 1600. The 1200 is based off of the Denon 910. The 1200 just adds DVD-A. There really isn't a Denon player replacing the 1600. Most people are saying the 2200 is the most similar in quality. One major difference though is the 2200 uses the Silcon Image de-interlacer rather then the Farouja like the 1600.

Joel

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure how much you are looking to spend, but ecost.com has the Denon 2900 for $508 refurb. That is a fantastic price, even with a 1/2 year extended warranty on them. I know that a shippment of 2900's are supposed to arrive on 8/31.....

Kimo B (can't wait for my 2900)

Michael_V

Second Unit
Hey guys!

I decided to go with the Denon 3800 and simply correct the Y/C delay (the only significant flaw on the secrets shootout) with longer Pr and Pb cables (custom made for me by bluejeanscable.com for a very reasonable price!). Got a factory refurbished player for $449 at Ecost (Denon authorized). Should be here this week.

FWIW, I did think the picture on the 1600 was a bit more stable (no combing) than that on the RP91 but otherwise very similar. Certainly not a quantum leap that would justify (for me, anyway) an upgrade if my PR91 hadn't crapped out on me!

Also, I agree with Joel: the 1200 is not the successor to the 1600 but has more in common with the 910. The 2200 looks like a stripped down 2900. As far as I can tell, there is no direct follow-up to the 1600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cobrachris
Recent bookmarks