denon 1600 or panny rp 91?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Travis, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Travis

Travis Second Unit

I am buying a new dvd player tomorrow and am struggling between the 2. It is going to be used for 95% dvd watching. All of the dvd's I have, watch, are for widescreen. My tv is a 46" hitachi. I am obviously looking for the one with the best pq and sq. I can pick up the denon for 315 or the panny for 300 but I can only get it in silver which sucks but I'll live with it if it is that much better of a deal/player. If it is impossible to tell the difference I will go with the denon as it is local and the panny I'll have to order.

2. BeatCrazy

BeatCrazy Stunt Coordinator

If you are only going to watch widescreen anamorphic DVDs, I would get the DVD1600. FWIW, I have both of them.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I prefer the RP-91 for most film based DVDs(they are very close though), but the Denon is markedly better with video based material. If you have alot of non-anamorpic discs, then I would get the Panny for it's scaling feature.

I have had both as well, as I mentioned in your other thread.

It's a tough call--good luck.

DJ

4. Travis

Travis Second Unit

David, Thanks for your additional reply. Sorry for the noob questions. I do have some 4x3 format dvd's but as mentioned most are widescreen. Are anamorphic dvd's different from normal widescreen dvd's. I have some that are widescreen that still have the bars on the top and bottom. This is annoying to me. I bought a widescreen to get rid of them. Would the panny fix this problem as well or is it just the nature of the beast with films shot with wider than 1:78? material?

5. Travis

Travis Second Unit

One other thing that I just remembered reading somewhere was that the denon had an icon pop up on screen every time there was a different angle available? Is this right or was it a different dvd player?

6. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Films with 2.35:1 aspect ratio will always have some black bars on even a 16:9 display, thats normal. You don't want to zoom in on them and lose part of the picture! For older non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs they are really a 4:3 frame with the widescreen movie letterboxed with bigger black bars than the anamorphic type. If your TV has a display mode for letterboxed material which cuts off the top and bottom black portion of 4:3 frame, then use that with non-anamorphic DVDs, the DVD-1600 is fine with that option. The RP91 can zoom in as well but its not really needed if your widescreen HDTV can do it instead.

7. Travis

Travis Second Unit

Thanks for the input guys. I just broke down and picked up a dvd 1600 for 316 new from my local vanns. Not a bad deal to me even though he grossed me on the monster cables optical out (40.00). LOL

8. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Take the cable back and get an AR one for 1/2 the price.

9. Travis

Travis Second Unit

I should, but I am a fan of monster cables. Always had good luck with them. If it were 30 or 40 diff I would take it back but for an extra 20 I'll stick with it.

10. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

You are going to need 3 stereo cables to run from the 5.1 output on the Denon to the 5.1 input on your receiver if you want to play some DVD-A's.

I highly recommend it--there are some great DVD-A discs out there.

DJ