What's new

Denon 1600 DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
any reviews or feedback on this player?

Thinking about buying it for my GFs brother to display on his 36" sony wega.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I read a couple of reviews, not too bad.

anybody have some feedback for this player?

thank you Randy B.A.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Randy, the '1600 is based on the Panasonic DVD-RP56. Of course, the major difference between the two is that the '1600 adds DVD-Audio. One thing that bothers me about the '1600 is that as a $500 player, it lacks a coaxial digital outputs, which I consider inexcusable given the price. This is why I don't like seeing companies rebadging mass-market players. I'm sure the '1600 is better than the 'RP56 under the hood, aside from the addition of DVD-Audio, but Denon made a mistake by leaving out a coaxial digital output, in my opinion.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
thanx kieth. I guess the optical is the only digital output.

I think he would be able to get by with that.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Randy, I simply prefer coaxial digital outputs because the cables are generally more robust than optical digital cables. Some audiophiles say that coaxial digital cables sound better than optical digital cables, but I don't want to this thread turn to that debate. Let me just say that a $500 DVD player should have a coaxial digital output. :)

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also curious about this unit. I have the Technics A10 and was wondering if the Denon would be a better sounding unit. I'm thinking of going prog scan but since my Pioneer 533 does such a good job on it's own, it's hard to justify a new purchase. I must say though, it's hard looking at players that have a lesser build quality than the A10 as it's built like a tank!! I was interested in the Denon 3800 but the dreaded chroma issue put me off.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I too have the Technics DVD-A10 and have considered buying a replacement player that is superior in DVD-Audio mode. Like you, I cannot see buying a player with lesser build quality. The 'A10 is real solid. Also like you, the Denon '3800 has caught my eye, but the chroma bug bothers me. For now, I am going to hold off on getting a replacement model. The 'A10 is still a very good component, and I figure that in a year's time, Denon will possibly have fixed the chroma bug issue on the '3800 or a replacement models, other manufacturers will offer models that compete with the '3800, and more DVD-Audio titles will be available to better justify the upgrade.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
kieth, thanx for the imput. my GF's brother is not a huge home theater buff. I just want him to have a nice PS DVD player and DVD-A playback.

I was able to get the 1600 for $425 at tweeter.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Randy, $425 is a good price. Was that for an open-box unit or do you know someone at Tweeter? I've always seen the '1600 for $500 there.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
That was brand new in the box. they were having a preferred customer sale there. and since i buy all my gear there i was on thier list.

the sale price came to $450.00 and we got an extra $25.00 off.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Randy, I got a flier in the mail from Tweeter a couple of weeks ago for a 12-month same-as-cash deal on all purchases of $500 or more made last weekend. However, I went into a Tweeter in New Jersey and saw nothing on sale. I had heard that the Toshiba SD-9200 would be $500 last weekend, but the store I was in hasn't had it in quite awhile. That's O.K. I was just bumming around anyway. :) Anyway, you did quite well on the '1600.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Just in case those interested in a new progressive dvd/dvd-a player Secrets of Hometheater has posted a review of this unit. Link Removed
I am in the market for a DVD player that does not have the chroma sampling error and also has dvd-a. This unit seems to fit the bill and at a below $500 price. $420 on the net.
I just may be visiting my local Tweeter today.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, thanks for posting the Secrets link. As I had hoped, it appears that the '1600 provides the excellent video quality of the Panasonic DVD-RP56, from which it is based, and the audio quality we have come to expect from Denon. Still, I wish that for $500, it were not so obvious that the '1600 were a rebadged 'RP56. It is ironic, however, that the '1600 at $500 has no chroma bug since it uses Panasonic's video section, but the $1200 '3800 and $3500 '9000 have the chroma bug because Denon went ahead with its own designs.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

My JVC 721BK is going in the Hardware want ads of this forum. JVC has refurbished it, so it is almost like new and works fine. I will be picking up the 1600 along with the Sony 222es. The 1600 will match my 1802 beautifully in the rack. One problem...I am getting the 222es and a pair of Sennheiser 590 headphones through J&R and would like to get the Denon 1600 from them as well. Of course, we all know that J&R has the best authorized prices on Denon products in store, but they can't sell them online. I am wracking my brain on trying to decide what to do. I know there were a few HTF members which had worked somthing out where they could get Denon stuff shipped to them, but never knew what this entailed.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, I am not sure how people have gotten Denon merchandise by mail in the past unless they have dealt with unauthorized dealers. If you know someone in the New York City area, perhaps you could have them pick up a '1600 at J&R and ship it out to you. I don't know how much of a discount J&R is offering on the '1600. In the end, you might have to bite the bullet and buy it for $500 at a local dealer.

The 'C222ES/'1600 combo could very well represent the best approach to getting SACD and DVD-Audio for under $1000. The 'C222ES/Panasonic DVD-RP91 is another way to go, but I suspect the '1600 is better for DVD-Audio. Of course, the Pioneer Elite DV-47A is another possibility, but the build quality is lackluster, you lose the changer of the 'C222ES, and the SACD playback is said to be a letdown by some.

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Just a reaffirmation of Joe Cole's post on the review in Secrets. If it is a re-badged RP56, at least it looks better. I was disappointed with how little the review touched on CD listening performance or how the DVD-A performance compared to higher end DVD-A players. Do you have to buy this immediately and would you consider the SACD route?...Philips has 2 new players for DVD and multichannel SACD... 962SA is supposedly out soon ($599 msrp) and the 963SA (due in Sept @$419!) which has everything the 962SA has and improved video DAC 13bit/108Mhz and rumored to have 24/96 upsampling. CD performance is supposedly improved with dual laser optics.

James St

Supporting Actor
I'm looking to buy a new dvd player in the coming months as well. My question is how does the 3mb buffer in the 1600 improve the video over the RP56? Does it improve the video in any way or just reduce or eliminate layer changes?

Joe Cole

Second Unit
This may be a little off topic but:

If Denon does not honor their warranties on their products, do they get money from the sale of their products on line? Are these stolen units? If not they(Denon) are getting funds from their sale so how do they get away with not honoring their own warrentees.

If they are stolen how do the on line stores get away with their sale?

According to the Secrets report the 1600 must be more than a rebadged panny since it does better on their tests. At least this seems clear to my way of thinking. FWIW.

If tweeter has one set up on a hdtv I will check out TS I and II on it today.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Stephen said:
Philips has 2 new players for DVD and multichannel SACD... 962SA is supposedly out soon ($599 msrp) and the 963SA (due in Sept @$419!) which has everything the 962SA has and improved video DAC 13bit/108Mhz and rumored to have 24/96 upsampling.
I'm confused. Are your prices reversed? I realize that only one price is labeled as an MSRP. You said the lesser expensive player is better endowed. Also, are you saying that one of these models will upsample CDs from 16/44.1 to 24/96 or will it simply have 24/96 DACs? I have never come across a sub-$1000 DVD player that upsamples. Finally, did you mean to say 12-bit/108-MHz video DAC? 13-bit seems odd, pardon the pun. ;)
James,
My understanding is the buffer makes the layer change smoother. I don't think it affects the video quality one way or the other.
Joe,
I don't know if the units are stolen or not. Perhaps the manufacturers sell excess merchandise to distributors at a cut rate, which enables the distributors to pass the savings on to the consumer. However, this does not mean the distributors are authorized dealers. Perhaps these distributors are not authorized because they sell on eBay or on the Internet or at a cut-rate price, etc. I'm just guessing. I once called a e-tailer that is well known here but is not authorized and asked where the merchandise comes from and if their merchandise is in sealed boxes. Despite the reputation this e-tailer has here, the person I spoke with said as part of his answer, "We get things." That was a shady answer and made me uncomfortable. I just don't know what is going on with some of these dealers.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
For anyone interested,

The GOODGUYS.COM is an authorized Denon dealer and currently have a ten-percent off coupon good until the end of June. It is listed at 499.95 (the full msrp of the 1600 is 549.00) at their site (which also says free shipping and no tax!), so with this coupon, you could get it shipped authorized for 450.00. I also believe that they price match as well, as they have a number for you to call if you've seen it for less. All in all, I have always avoided paying full msrp for anything.

Reggie

P.S. check DVDPRICESEARCH.COM for the ten-percent off coupon code.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks