Denon 1600 DVD-Audio help

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Richard C, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Richard C

Richard C Extra

I've got the DVD1600 hooked up to a Denon 3803. Finally bought a DVD-A disc, Fleetwood Mac's Rumors, but I don't know that I'm getting the correct DVD-A performance. And, given the poor quality of the Denon instruction manuals and being a DVD-A newbie, I'm not exactly sure what I should have had happen. Help?

When I first played the disc, I was getting sound out of the FR and FL stereo speakers. The 3803's Dolby Digital light did not come on like it does for DVD's with 5.1.(Should it?) The 3803 front display said "stereo". I could adjust all the various surround parameters (5 channel stereo, etc.), but is that what I should have to do?

The DVD-A disc says it plays 3 ways: Advanced Resolution Surround, Advanced Resolution Stereo, DVD-Video Compatible Dolby Digital with your hardware determining the mix you hear. Which way should it be playing on this equipment? And how do I tell?

The DVD-1600 settings are as follows:
    Speaker Setting - Multi-channel
    PCM downconversion - No
    Dolby Digital - Bitstream
    DTS Digital Surround - Bitstream

Thanks for any inputs.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Is the Denon 1600 connected to the receivers multichannel input with 6 RCA cables?

3. Richard EO

Richard EO Auditioning

The 6 rca jacks do need to be connected. Also, set the receiver mode to EXT. IN to listen to dvd-a's. You should be able to access ext. in with your remote.

4. Richard C

Richard C Extra

Well, no, they're not. I thought my optical cable handled the function, based on those Denon instructions, but I guess not? If I understand correctly, I also need to connect my 1600 5.1 audio out RCA jacks to the 3803's Ext In jacks.

Thanks for the help. You guys rock.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Yes the optical cable only handles audio from CD and DVD's not DVD-A. The only way for you to hear the DVD-A soundtrack from that disc is to connect 6 analog RCA cables from the 1600 to the receviers Ext Inputs then choose that as your source. You really should have the analog cables connected anyway as the DAC's in the 1600 are really quite good.

7. Richard C

Richard C Extra

Done. Works now. Of course the kids are in bed, so I'll have to sneak home tomorrow at lunch to really play with it.

Brian L - thanks for that link to the FAQ. If I'd found that earlier, I could have avoided those frustrating Denon manuals and gotten this resolved hours ago. I'm saving that link.

8. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

No the optical or coax digital only output the regular DVD movie's DD or DTS bitstreams. DVD-Audio requires the internal decoder in the DVD-1600 and that only outputs to the 5.1 channel six analog RCA outputs!

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Just a minor point of clarification...

Strictly speaking, you don't need the 5.1 analog connections to play DVD-A's. If you select the 2 CH hi-rez mix, they will play through the stereo outputs into any line input on the receiver or pre/pro.

You DO, of course, need the 5.1 outs to play the hi-rez MC mix.

There have been some users that have old school receiver w/o a 5.1 in, so they were able to go the 2 CH route for hi-rez, and play the DD or DTS tracks on the DVD-V layer until they upgrade.

BGL