What's new

Denon 1600, can I do better for the money? (1 Viewer)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The Kenwood has the "run of the mill" single xover point design wich is the norm for most dvd players[this player however has BM for DVD-A as well] and many receivers as well.
The point was I was making that many DVD-A players have BM but it only operates on it's own built in decoders[DD,DTS].These players digital and multichannel output[via DVD-A] is not affected by the settings.
The Denon looks have the same feature like the 4800 carousel changer,namely just bass summing from all channels but no high pass filtering.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Does the Denon 1600 offer scaling of non-anamorphic DVDs similar to the Panasonic RP-91's?

-Dave

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

I don't know if the '1600 offers the scaling feature. Perhaps the review on the Secrets to Home Theater web site mentions it.

Vishal,

I believe the 'RP56 does not do scaling of non-anomorphic DVDs.

Jeff Theobald

Auditioning
vishal

I am not sure that the Secrets review is flawed. Stacey said that the 1600 was based on the rp56, but that register changes had been addressed in the fli2200 for performance.

I also read another post from a guy that went from an RP56 to the 1600 and noticed that DVDs that exhibited problems in his 56 played flawlessly in his 1600 - seems to bear out the fact that the 1600 has some nominal video improvements over the stock RP56.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
vishal and Jeff, I read somewhere, probably here, that the '1600 gives a better picture than the 'RP56. Also, I have not read about the '1600 exhibiting the flicker bug. Anyway, if you look at the chassis of the two players, it is quite obvious that the '1600 was designed after the 'RP56. Despite the $500 price tag, the '1600 lacks a coaxial digital output, just like the 'RP56. The back panels of the two players are practically identical. That said, I am quite sure that Denon revamped the inside of the 'RP56 in designing the '1600. Obviously, Denon added DVD-Audio capability. It has been said that the '1600 is decidedly better on the audio side than the 'RP56 or 'RP91, which doesn't surprise me. Denon also could have done some things to improve the video section.

vishal

Auditioning
Jeff,

I am sure that Stacey said the review was flawed, on the AVS FORUM. He said the reviewer did not conduct the tests correctly. To be sure though, you should ask him.......Just leave him a message on AVS FORUM!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks