Denon 1505 Help with setup Centre Channel Sound

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bob Cal, May 23, 2005.

1. Bob Cal

Bob Cal Stunt Coordinator

I am having a problem getting good sound from the centre channel on DVD Dolby Digital. 5.1 sound.
    On moives in the DTS mode the sound from the centre channel is just find.
    On movies that has just Dolby Digital 5.1 the sound from centre channel sound is low.

I have calibrated all the speakers,and have even increased the sound level for the centre +3. When I run the test tones the centre channel sounds plenty loud.

It seems to be in the dynamics, on loud material the sound seems ok, on quiet speaking parts that seems to be the problem area.

I have gone through the manual a number of times changing setting, main speakers from large to small etc.
    Change cross over from the 80 standard to 60 etc.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Main Paradigm studio 60 V2 and the CC is 470 Vs.3

2. John S

John S Producer

I adjust my center by content..... Really just turn it up if it sounds to low.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Well, right off the bat, I'd have to say that receiver is WAY underpowered to drive those speakers. Those speakers are pretty demanding and drop to relatively low impedances and I guarantee that receiver is going to have difficulty with them. In fact, you're running the risk of actually damaging those speakers by listening at elevated levels. That doesn't sound like your main issue though, but it is something that should seriously be looked at. If anything, you would want to RAISE the x-over, not lower it, because that would alleviate some of the power draw from the receiver.

A common problem with the center is the placement of it. Experiment with different locations, and try to make sure the speaker is somewhat angled towards the listening position and it should be pulled out to the edge of whatever it is sitting on. Do you happen to have it sitting in an enclosed area such as an entertainment center?

4. Bob Cal

Bob Cal Stunt Coordinator

I will try raising the X-over, nope the centre is not enclosed and is angled down.

If I increase the centre volume, it impacts too much on loud sounds from movie tracks. That is why I was wondering about the x-over or something else I was missing.

I don't listen a high volume, and like I said with DTS it sounds perfect, I usual listen at -20 and the Receiver goes to + 18 . For movies So it is not pushing too hard..I don't think.

I had a Technics dx 950 which had no problem with the speakers in question.The Technics is not a heavy duty receiver.

That is why I was wondering if it was something I was doing wrong with the setting.

My room is small 17 x13 .

I might try using a coxial in stead of the opticial hookup for the DVD to the Receiver and see if that helps.

thanks for the input.