Denon 1403 or 1603

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom bell, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Tom bell

Tom bell Auditioning

I need advice please. I have narrowed to the denon 1403 or 1603. Local authorized dealer quotes me $269 and $335. These sound pretty good; only better I've seen are ebay and a site called buydig has the 1603 for $278. So here are my three questions: Given my intended use, (connect a dvd and tv, 5 CSW surrounds, and a sony 40 sub in a small room) shouldn't the 1403 perform nearly as well? I do not see any huge differences between the two receivers.
    Secondly, having read the threads about warranties on this site, the sites mentioned above state that they sell denon's w/ full manufc. warranty. Is that possible and would it likely be risky to buy from them and get denon to back the product?
    Finally, what is the standard manufact. warranty on denon rec? My local dealer said the 1403 had a one year and the 1603 had a three year. What gives here?

thanks everyone,
    Tom

2. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

They look like the same unit (1603=1403 + some xtra features. Do you need more than 1 digital input? S-video and component switching? The extra 10 watts? If you answered yes to those questions, get the 1603. If no, 1403. Still, the 1603 has some decent future proofing with the video and digital inputs.

Any company on ebay most likely (exceptions like harmanaudio for h/k) isn't authorized. Meaning Denon won't help you if something screws up. You take a risk going unauthorized. You can get the 1603 dirt cheap, but it may not be worth it if something messes up.