Denon 1403/1602, HK 125

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason GT, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Hi.
    What are your opinions about these receivers?
    They will be driving PSB Alphas, mostly for HT use but quite possibly for eventual heavier music use. I am particularly interested in sound quality.
    The 1602 is a special item; I can get it open box for $499 *Canadian* (about $310 USD), but it's lacking the FM Antenna. How hard is it to procure an FM antenna or fashion one from coathangers etc. for a non-handyman? [​IMG]
    Thanks!
    J

2. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

If you plan on using alot of different sources and use s-video switching, it's an easy choice; the 125. It has 4 s-video inputs (over 0 on the 1403 and 3 on the 1602) and 3 optical/3 coax ins (I believe the 1602/1403 only have 1 optical/1 coax).

I think you would be hardpressed to hear a difference in DD and dts performance on dvds. the 125 does include Logic 7, so you got another dsp that rivals dpl2's performance.

Music-wise, I'd take the h/k over the denon. But that's just me :wink:

3. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Check out HK 125's at UBID.com refurbished! I got mine and it was considered refurbished because of a cosmetic blemish! Paid $185 w free shipping! What a deal!

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

5. Iver

Iver Second Unit

The FM antenna that came with my Denon 1602 is a piece of 20-gauge plastic-coated wire, about five feet long. At one end it's got a u-shaped terminal which you can snug down under the FM-antenna screw-on connector and at the other end the wire's formed into a little loop through which you can insert a thumbtack to secure it to your wall.

A five-foot piece of wire, stripped at one end, wrapped around a thumbtack or nail or taped down at the other, would perform precisely as well.

By the way, the 1602 is a great receiver for the price. I got mine from J&R as a closeout for $250 but they've gone through all that stock long ago. If you find one for sale use the fact that it's now listed as discontinued on the Denon Web site as a bargaining point. Even $310 isn't a bad deal on it because the 1602 listed for $400 and the amplification quality is sweet.