What's new

Denon 100w per channel Stereo Reciever worth $400? (1 Viewer)

EricHM

Agent
Hello, I've been strongly considering purcahsing the denon DRA-685 for my college dorm room stereo system. I will likely be using phase technology 2.1 bookshelf speakers with this reciever. Does anyone have expereince with denon stereo recievers and do you thing they put out their rated power? Is the quality and reliability I will get from this 100 watt per channel reciever worth the 400 dollar price tag?

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Hi Eric,This is Eric in Indiana.
I have the Denon 2800 and love it.I had the Marantz 550 and I think the Denon blows the Marantz out of the water.
But that is M.O .
$400 is worth it if it has DTS & DD.
Eric

JohanK

Second Unit
Denon makes nice stereo receivers; in the garage, I'm still using a 10 year old model. I think they run pretty close to their ratings; it just depends on how they state the ratings.
Another option to consider would be used separates. Combinations of used Adcom, NAD, Rotel or Parasound gear can be had for under $400 and sound very good. Used preamps would probably be analog so you'd want a CD player with a good analog stage (including good DACs).
Other possibilities include the HK stereo receivers and maybe a NAD integrated amp.
BTW, http://www.ubid.com
Link Removed

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I would agree with Norm.
Just got a Technics stereo receiver for a bedroom system. 100W/channel, for ... $99.
Technics is certainly not Denon, but $400 is still too much.
------------------

EricHM

Agent
BTW, I found it for only $325 online. I really cannot afford seperates, even cheap seperates like AUDIOSOURCE, this reciever seems to come close to seperates quality according to denon:

The circuit handling low-level and high-level signals have been divided into separate blocks to ensure that influences from these signals on each other are held to an absolute minimum. This new chassis design in the DRA-685 is called the Signal Level Divided Construction (SLDC). Signals for output are cleaner than before, allowing them to be reproduced with even greater fidelity and clarity.

100 + 100 watts RMS, 20Hz-20kHz >.05% THD • Record output selector • Pre-out and main-in jacks • Banana plug compatible speaker terminals • Dual Zone Multi-Room, with pre-outs for second zone and second dedicated (supplied) IR remote control • Video/audio signal mixing (simulcast) • Auto preset FM memory • Loudness function • Tone defeat • IR input for external IR repeater • A/B speaker switching • Composite video switching for A/V sources • 40 station random AM/FM tuner memory • Motorized analog volume control

dra685.jpg

[SIZE=1" FACE="arial, helvetica, sans serif" color="brown]

[Edited last by EricHM on September 17, 2001 at 12:45 AM]

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Eric,
I second Johan's recommendation for used separates. I replaced my excellent HK 3270 stereo receiver with a used adcom gtp600 DPL preamp/tuner (same sonics as their gtp450 stereo preamp/tuner, but adds video switching, learning remote, subwoofer out) and used adcom gfa5300 80x2 amp. I got them on ebay for $200 each (retail was $1100 and $600), mint and working perfectly. The amp and tuner sections are noticeable improvements over the HK.
On ebay or audiogon, you can easily get the an adcom preamp/tuner (gtp450, 500, 550, or 600) for $150-200; and a 60-100 watt stereo amp for $150-200.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
For $325, I would get an NAD C 350 integrated amp. I use one in my second system and paid $325 for it through Sound City (1-800-370-3156), and authorized NAD dealer. That's a very good price considering it retails for $430. NAD rates the C 350 at 60W x 2 into 8 ohms (full bandwidth), but two British hi-fi magazines independently measured the continuous power into 8 ohms at 95W x 2. Of course, the power rating should not be the most important factor in choosing an amp. Anyway, NAD integrated amps are very well regarded, as British magazines such as What Hi*Fi? and Hi-Fi Choice routinely rave about them. For example, What Hi*Fi? named the NAD C 370, a more expensive version of the C 350, stereo amp of the year for 2000. The C 350 was rated very high as well.
If music is your primary concern, I would get an NAD integrated amp or something similar. My feeling is that a receiver with video switching circuitry and other extraneous features could compromise the audio side of the equation.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Keith,
I specifically asked Adcom tech if the extra video switching/other features in their gtp600 would degrade the sound quality...but they verified (twice) that the gtp600 is sonically identical in stereo to their stereo only gtp450.
Eric,
How much do you use a tuner?
Happy Listening!
Ricky

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Norm and Kevin, care to elaborate? Why exactly is a stereo receiver not worth this much?
I have a Harman/Kardon HK3270 receiver in my office/studio and I would not hesitate to recommend H/K analog stereo gear. Particularly the phono stage of my 3270 is very nice.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ricky, I guess I would want to hear the two Adcom receivers side-by-side. The often pervading theory in audio is the simpler, the better. Hence, many audiophiles prefer separates to all-in-one boxes. While separate components may appear more complicated, each box has a focused purpose. Most audiophiles would prefer to have a separate tuner, pre-amp, and power amp to a receiver. There are bound to compromises in a receiver (the "jack of all trades, master of none" philosophy). For less money than full separates, but without sacrificing sound quality too much, one can buy an integrated amp and add a tuner if so desired.
I'm not sure if any of the true "high-end" manufacturers make stereo receivers, but many make integrated amps and all offer separates. When it comes to home theater, it seems to me that many of the high-end brands offer separates rather than receivers. So, in the case of stereo amplification, I would think that a more basic integrated amp that focuses purely on audio would be the better choice than a comparably priced receiver that has a tuner, video switching capability, multi-room capability, etc. Some stereo receivers even have surround sound modes. In my opinion, such features are unnecessary for stereo music and can lead to compromises in the audio quality while trying to maintain a reasonable price for the product (e.g., considering a $400 stereo receiver vs. a $400 integrated amp). I suppose there can be exceptions, however.
------------------
My:

EricHM

Agent
I would say I use a tuner about 20% of the time, because I do enjoy listening to the radio.
I will look more closely into the NAD integrated amps however.....

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Eric,
The tuner is one area of my H/K that I have been a little dissapointed with. It's adequate, but not as sensitive as that in the Philips DPL recevier that it replaced. If you're listening to strong local stations it is excellent but for weaker distant stations my 3270 is lacking. An Integrated Amp may be a better way to go depending on your needs.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i agree with keith completely!
if i was running 2-channel i would want the least amount of extras as possible. just give me the amp, a pre-amp with source-switching and (possibly) a tuner.
i don't want status-lights, tone controls or any bells and whistles!
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Keith,
Adcom does not make any receivers. The gear I am talking about are DPL preamp/tuners (ie, gtp600) vs stereo preamp/tuners (ie, gtp450). I would trust Adcom tech when they say these models are sonically equivalent. The next step up sonically is the superb adcom gfp750 $1400 retail, Stereophile Class A active/passive preamp (no tuner).
The adcom amps are separate stand-alone power amps.
Whether you want preamp/tuner plus amp OR int amp plus tuner is a matter of brand preference and budget.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ricky, yeah I have never seen an Adcom receiver, but as I am not familiar with their product line, I wasn't sure what products you were referring too. I would likely believe an Adcom rep. in such a situation, but the proof is in the hearing. That said, it should not be impossible to design a great sounding amp when including extra features, but I would think that extra care would have to be taken to preserve audio quality. A company like Adcom is likely to do it right. I'm not so sure with Denon or Harman/Kardon, however. Nothing against those manufacturers, but some of their products are more mass-market in design relative to Adcom. NAD products often look and feel mass-market in some respects, but they are known for good design on the inside at a great price. In the end, it's all a matter of preference.
------------------
My:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks