What's new

DENNIS THE MENACE Season Two Already Announced! (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Shout! has already announced that DENNIS THE MENACE - Season 2 will be out on July 26.

The second season has no fewer than 38 episodes, and the retail price will be the same as the Season 1, 32 episode set, $29.93. I got Season 1 at Sam's for $18.88, quite a bargain.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Shout! has already announced that DENNIS THE MENACE - Season 2 will be out on July 26.

The second season has no fewer than 38 episodes, and the retail price will be the same as the Season 1, 32 episode set, $29.93. I got Season 1 at Sam's for $18.88, quite a bargain.

Once again, I have to hand it to Shout. Between them and Timeless, they are really keeping the truly vintage/classic TV on DVD ship afloat.

Gary "this is an easy call - heck the price is so low I've already pre-ordered it from Amazon" O.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Wow! This is happening fast. I will be doing the Amazon preorder again. Thanks, Shout!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Good news. I am greatly enjoying Season 1 and was hoping Season two would be out before the end of the year. July is much sooner than expected.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm hoping that if Shout is releasing S2 in July then maybe they get S3 released by late November of this year, which would allow us to have all three Christmas episodes from the series in time to watch them during the holidays.

Gary "the fourth and final season didn't have a Christmas episode so I'm not as concerned about the release date for that one" O.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm very happy to see this fast tracked. Very nice show that I've been wanting on DVD since I started buying classic television on DVD.

I just wonder where season 6 of Adam-12 is (It will have been a year since the last release later this summer). For a while there, it looked like Adam-12 was going to catch up and be finished right around when Emergency was, which saw the end of it's run released a few weeks back.

I sure hope season 6 and 7 of that program make their way out during 2011 and 2012.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by DeWilson

Not so jazzed about the packaging or cover pix.
I absolutely *love* the packaging! I wish more series were packaged like this. If I could find cases like that locally I'd replace *lots* of crappy digipaks along with other space hogging packaging... But, yeah, that cover pic is pretty bad. The too skinny right elbow (looks like a bad crop job) makes everything else look odd.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by Gary OS

...Gary "this is an easy call - heck the price is so low I've already pre-ordered it from Amazon" O.
Thanks for the "heads up" on this one Gary! I'd not done a granular enough search prior to your post. I've now done a S2 pre-order as well! Between DTM and Car 54 I've done 3 very unprecedented pre-orders (with a 4th anticipated on Car 54 S2)!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobO'Link

Thanks for the "heads up" on this one Gary! I'd not done a granular enough search prior to your post. I've now done a S2 pre-order as well! Between DTM and Car 54 I've done 3 very unprecedented pre-orders (with a 4th anticipated on Car 54 S2)!

I've not been pre-ordering much of anything either for about a year or so because of finances, but I have done so with the same two shows you mentioned because the prices have been so good.

Gary "when I can order a season's worth of a favorite classic for around $20 it's an automatic buy" O.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
They're putting others to shame. Truly awesome.

Since there's only 4 seasons I'm waiting on a complete set. Plus, I have Leave it to Beaver I'm really enjoying. Dennis would be perfect for when I complete watching The Beav. Good times ahead!!

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
For those who are fans of Jay North and the Dennis character ... you may want to check out The Lucy Show: The Official Fourth Season as Jay guest-starred in the "Lucy, the Robot" episode as the menacing nephew of Mr. Mooney. This one reunites Jay with former Dennis the Menace co-star, Gale Gordon (the second Mr. Wilson). This bonus-packed DVD set will be out in just TWO weeks. Just wanted to let you guys know.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks Mike. No one can ever question your love and loyalty to Lucille Ball and Gale Gordon. You are clearly a fan extraordinaire of both. Having said that, and as much as I do like Gale Gordon's work in general, it's very difficult for me to enjoy those last few episodes of Season Three and all of Season Four knowing that Joseph Kearns passed away so suddenly during that time. Dennis the Menace just isn't the same without "good old Mr. [George] Wilson" there.

Gary "I can't even bring myself to think about buying S4 of DTM - like The Lucy Show I'm done at three sets for sure" O.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Dennis the Menace ran originally when I was 9 to 13 years old and was probably my favorite show on the air at the time. I remember when my brother told me Joseph Kearns had died, 3 days after my 12th birthday. I couldn't believe it! Of course, I thought he was old, but the poor guy was only 55.

The show was really never the same after that, but I like to collect series in their entirety, even those that jump way over the shark, like THE LUCY SHOW certainly did.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff
The show was really never the same after that, but I like to collect series in their entirety, even those that jump way over the shark, like THE LUCY SHOW certainly did.

I like to collect television shows in their entirety too regardless of any cast or format changes. In fact, I find some television series with cast or format changes to be still entertaining like both The Lucy Show and Dennis the Menace were. With that said, I am looking forward especially to season four with an older Dennis and a new Mr. Wilson. I have some favorite episodes in season four that I would like to see in uncut form like the one where Dennis goes to the San Diego zoo, the one with the Chinese girl, the one where Mr. Wilson thinks he allergic to Dennis, the one where Dennis encounters a hermit, the one where Dennis spreads the rumor that Mr. Wilson is very ill, the very last episode where Aunt Emma comes for a visit, ect., ect.!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The last few episodes of season 3 were terrible (The first duds for the series, actually).

But it eventually somewhat regained it's footing in season 4 after a few episodes. It never comes anywhere close to equaling the earlier episodes, but there were still some pretty good episodes.
Some of the standouts that I think make it worth owning include the episodes "Dennis and the Homing Pigeons" and "The Uninvited Guest". Still, I can't say I blame someone that plans to skip season 4. It just doesn't have the same chemistry with Gale Gordon and a Dennis that was fast approaching his teen years.

At least they didn't keep Edward Everett Horton on. He was a great actor, but I just didn't like his grumpy replacement character before Gale Gordon came along as a permanent replacement.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I never enjoyed Dennis the Menace as much after Joseph Kearns passed away. To me, Gale Gordon just did not seem to be as good in that role, although I have thoroughly enjoyed him being paired with Lucy over the years. However, I have not seen this show since its original run when I was quite young, so I will end up buying season four just to see if my earlier impressions might have changed since then. Plus, I would like to complete the series, so I will be in for the full run.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
This is one of the great things about collecting DVDs - choosing when and where to stop. As some people on this board can attest to, I'm an avid collector that almost never stops short of getting an entire run (whether it's video, audio, print material, etc). I definitely have a tough time only picking up parts of a collection, but in this instance I'll be sticking to my guns. I had the opportunity to watch Dennis very recently (within the last 2 years) and those final season episodes just didn't do a thing for me. It wasn't only because Kearns was gone. It was a combination of that and that Jay North was getting too big for his britches - literally! He was shooting up like the proverbial bean sprout and somehow it just didn't suit him to play the character any more in my mind. So I'm content to stop at S3.

Gary "plus, no Christmas episode in S4" O.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I don't think I've seen every episode. But I remember both Mr. Wilsons and liking the first way better. Still, if I don't have 1-4 on this show I'd lose like a drug addict about to run out of his choice of monkey and no funds to get more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks