Dennis the Menace: Both British and American.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Tom_mkfty, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty Stunt Coordinator

I remember Jay North played the American Dennis.

Was there ever a live action, British Dennis The Menace?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Tom, the series was based on an American one-panel cartoon that appeared in newspapers. It was as U.S.A. as it gets. There was never a British version.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Although there is a completely different and unrelated British "Dennis the Menace" comic strip - with, I gather, a much nastier title character - which very well have spawned its own adaptations.

4. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    It's too bad the TV version of Dennis is fading from American memory having not been widely syndicated in recent years. It was a cute little show that featured great performances by the late Joe Kearns at Mr. Wilson. He stole darn near every scene he was in. I remember watching this on WGN in the 70s and 80s.

Actually aren't Jay North, Gloria Henry, and the person who played "Margaret" the only principal actors still alive? Sylvia Field (Mrs. Wilson) died not too many years ago.

I don't know who owns the DVD rights, but this is probably a long shot to be commercially released.

Steve

5. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

It's a Columbia show by way of Screen Gems. As of this date, the recent first season of Bewitched is the only series they have put out in black and white. They have shown no interest whatsoever in mining their older catalogue with shows like Dennis the Menace, Donna Reed, Father Knows Best, Farmer's Daughter, Rin Tin Tin and Route 66 not even getting a mention thus far. Nor have they even appeared in the sporadic TV polls on the Sony website.