What's new

dennis miller: don't stump for P&S (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Dennis Miller's views on the drug war and gay marriage would pretty much prevent him from being a Republican mouthpiece.

He's a guy with opinion, not some shill.

That said, his show sucks.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
Not only does it suck, it rivals his original show and the Magic Johnson show as the worst of all time. He has become the republican's biggest tool and he is starting to pay for it. Most of his audience was liberals in the first place and now that they have left its been all down hill.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Obviously, some people did not read Jack Briggs' request above. This thread didn't start as a political discussion and doesn't have to become one. We'd like to leave it open, so please watch the rhetoric.

AlexanderS, YGM.

M.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I watched the show in question last night.

In his statement, Dennis says he spent a lot of money on his HT. I would assume then he has a really nice widescreen tv. If he were watching an anamorphic DVD, then he would not have the problem with letterboxing. Only if he were watching a non-anamorphic DVD or VHS tape or watching a movie that is letterboxed on a cable channel would he notice the 'letterboxing'.

Paul

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

He would have a "problem" with letterboxing when watching a 2.35:1 AR movie on a widescreen TV. Maybe that's what his rant was about. Still as stupid though.

/Mike

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Paul, anamorphic or "enhanced for widescreen TVs" has nothing to do with aspect ratio, and everything to do with improved picture resolution.

As Micke points out, if a movie's OAR is greater than 1.78:1 (actually more than that due to TV overscan), then there will be letterbox bars on top and bottom. Anamorphic or not.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
You know what? It was just a stupid stupid stupid thing for someone who positions himself as this "info geeky kind of guy" to say. If you know film, the way he seems to know it, you know the whole widescreen OAR selling point. And not only did he talk about his home theater as being state of the art (which presumes a widescreen TV), but he is also SURROUNDED BY WIDESCREEN TELEVISION MONITORS on the set of the show (all of which look like they usually get the aspect ratio correct, demonstrating that someone on the crew knows more about aspect ratios than your average big box retailer).

Being mean spirited about artistic integrity doesn't wear well when you position yourself as an artistic kind of guy. I have been watching this CNBC show since his first show, I've given this non-host the benefit of my doubt about his abilities as a host, and he's squandered them in this idiotic rant. And I'm angry that he's co-opted the term "rant" so that I can't use it without conjuring up images of Dennis Miller. Especially now that I know his geeky film-guy act is a PUT ON because he likes his movies "full screen."

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Now I'm blowing this corporate popsicle stand (my office) and going to get tattooed and nobody's stopping me.

So there. I'M NOT WATCHING YOU TONIGHT, DENNIS!

MC

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
My favorite Dennis Miller moment:

He's doing the news on SNL. He's talking about the new TV season. Two pictures pop up behind him. One is a profile of the Pope. Facing it is the profile of a chimpanzee.

Dennis gives the rundown: "He's a Pope, he's a chimp. Their private eyes."

Makes me laugh thinking about it, even now. I guess that's been nearly 20 years ago, maybe 85 or 86.

So, I guess he was funny once. Which means he's probably just about right on that ratio thing.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Miller was great on the news. So was Norm McDonald.

"Many people are skeptical about marriage of Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Pressley. They say, Lisa Marie is more of a sit at home type, while Michael Jackson is more of a homosexual pedophile. "

- Norm McDonald

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Miller has been losing his edge for a long time now.

His HBO show was, at one time, pretty good, but as it went on, you could sort of start to feel the "misses" increasing with each season.

Miller has always been a lame interviewer. For someone with such an acid tongue, you can very much feel him going out of his way not to challenge or offend his guests in a face-to-face forum.

And, about the P&S rant, did Miller even write that himself? I've always been under the impression that he didn't actually write a lot of his own material. (Maybe the fact that "The Dennis Miller" show had a large team of writers clued me in to that.)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Now this maroon is ranting against widescreen.

I watched one episode of his new show, and that was more than enough. His big gag of the night was having a chimp sitting on his desk, pushing a button that would set off the "Dean scream", It went on thoughout the entire show. This was about a week after the Dean scream had become old news.

It's a bad sign when a comedian resorts to having a chimp for laughs, it's an even worse sign when said comedian has less cerebral agility than said chimp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks