Dencent surge protection for under $100?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Derouen, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Robert Derouen

May 26, 2000
    From what I have gathered from the threads, Panamax and Monster are pretty much the way to go for surge protectors and line conditioners. I'm on a budget so I'm willing to forget about line conditioners for the present. I just want the best surge protector I can get to protect my equipment for under $100, preferably under $75. If it has some type of line filter great but I'm just looking for bang for the buck best protection against lightning, outages and such (I know there's no true protection from a direct lightning strike.)
    The best choices and prices I've found so farare; follow.
    MONSTER HTS1000 for about $82
    -Monster Clean Power™ Stage 2 application-specific filters.
    -$100,000 guaranteed connected equipment protection.
    -Protects coax lines used with cable-TV and DSS equipment from surge pulses.
    -1665 joule rating provides highest level of surge absorption.
    -8 ft. Monster PowerLine® 200 cable with high current capacity.
    -Switched and un-switched outlets.
    -24k gold-plated grounded plug for maximum conductivity.
    -Includes Monster Cable coax cable with 24k gold contact connectors.
    PANAMAX 8 DBS+3 - $69.95 FREE Shipping
    -Protect or Disconnect™ Circuitry safeguards equipment against all surges.
    -Panamax will protect your equipment. In the event of a catastrophic surge, such as lightning, it completely disconnects power to connected equipment.
    -Eight AC power outlets.
    -All outlets are spaced for transformers. Four Always On and four Switched outlets provide maximum flexibility.
    -Satellite, Coax and Telco connectors.
    -Protection for 1 satellite coax line, 2 cable coax lines and 1 pay-per-view phone line.
    -Diagnostic lights for your safety.
    -Ground OK light, when lit, indicates proper grounding and outlet wiring. Power Protection light is your assurance that the Panamax protector is doing its job.
    -$100,000 Connected Equipment Protection Policy
    Panamax will protect your equipment or we will repair or replace up to $100,000!
    -Lifetime Product Warranty
    -The surge protector shall be free of any defects in design, materials, or workmanship, and Panamax will repair or replace any defective product.
    -3 Year Expanded Warranty
    -Your LNB and receiver are covered by our exclusive 3 Year Expanded Warranty.
    Here's the equipment I'm trying to protect, it's not high- end stuff but to me it's priceless since some of it was given to me and I don't have the funds to replace it.
    Amp: Rotel RB-985 MkII 100 watt 5x amp
    Pre: Outlaw 950 (whenever they get to my name on the waiting list, grrr)
    DVD: Toshiba SD-9100 Progressive Scan
    TV: Toshiba 65HX81 TV - My new and first widescreen HD set, and a 65", WOOHOO! Sorry but I'm still excited as I just upgraded from a 10 year old Sony Trinitron 27" set. This took 14 years of work on my wife but it finally payed off![​IMG]
    Which of these would you get in my situation, or what other models/brands would you suggest? I can go higher than $100 if really needed. Thanks.
    Robert Derouen
  2. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Feb 25, 1999
    TrippLite makes some really nice units in your price range.
  3. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

May 24, 2000
    I would recommend the HTS1000. It's definitely a HUGE step above the HTS800 which is basically a slightly fancier surge protector. The HTS1000's has digital filters and AC conditioning, which are features that are largely beneficial for an HT setup. I can't commment on the Panamax since I haven't owned one before, but I would remain skeptical of anything that retails less than $100 as most of these products are simple surge protectors.

4. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

May 10, 1999
    I think you will get a better deal on basic surge protection and filtering from companies like furman and tripplite for under $100.

Monster and Panamax make gear aimed at the home theater market and they charge more for it because of that fact.

You can get equal or better protection for the same money or less with one of the surge protectors aimed more towards commerical applications.
  5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Feb 5, 2001
    Robert, my compliments on discerning the difference between Surge Suppressors and "Power/Line Conditioners." Manufacturers and resellers dont make it any easier in adding the latter terms while marketing. Not to mention Monster dangling 5 or 6 units going up the line, so to speak.
    Yes, basic surge suppressors are valuable and most are
  6. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Aug 29, 1999
    A search here should yield many recommendations for the Tripplite Isobar 6 DBS. We, too, wanted maximum protection for many thousands of dollars worth of equipment in our music and theater rooms. Extensive research led us to purchase several Isobar 6 DBS units. Built like a tank (very heavy-duty steel construction), it will provide first-class AC, cable/satellite, and telephone protection. An insurance policy is included.

The premium Tripplites, such as the DBS, are a ridiculous bargain. Should you have any questions, the company has excellent customer support. Available from ($59) and elsewhere.

Happy holiday!
  7. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

Jan 13, 2000