"Denali" is done

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ben L C, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Ben L C

Ben L C Agent

Without the help of this forum this sub would have never come into being. You guys are so good and the information received here is phenomenal. That goes for Kyle Richardson from Acoustic Visions as well. Great to work with and helped me tons in getting a sub that was going to fit my needs.

Well as the subject states I built a sub that mirrors the "Denali" which is being offered through Acoustic Visions. This sub is a sub that I don't think I will be replacing anytime soon. I started off with a klipsch many moons ago, then got a sv 20-39, then moved onto Dual Triad Silver subs, and now I have settled on something that I think is the ultimate in bass replication. Man does this sub sound awesome during movies, and its presence during music is seamless.

Here is a link of some pics I took of the sub:
    Denali Pics

Thanks for all your help through posting in previous threads so that the info is there for people to read and learn. Much appreciated. A lot learned and somethings learned to late. That is in regards to the use of t-nuts, which I will stand on the position of the not recommended. I had one come out of position and I ended up using a lock nut on instead of the t-nut. Live and learn. [​IMG]

2. Nat Ward

Nat Ward Agent

Isn't this thing awesome? I built a similar sub (1000W Kiega, Tumult, 2500g PRs), but due to my lack of enthusiasm with the cold weather up here in the northeast she's still nekkid MDF. I'm sure I'll get yelled at, but when I first fired her up without calibrating I didn't think it sounded that much better than my old Paradigm P-1200. I played around for an hour or so, got it to where I was happy and kept listening. All the details that I never heard before came out, and all that deeeeeeeep bass I had been missing slapped me in the chest. Surpsingly enough I haven't been yelled at by my neighbors in the apartment complex! It's amazing for movies, and plays nice and tight for music. I love it, and love to show her off for friends. I can only wait for day I live in a house and don't need to be respectful for the people around me! Good job, looks great....and if anything like mine it's gotta sound fantastic too!

3. Ben L C

Ben L C Agent

Nat,

I am really surprised that your neighbors have not commented on or got upset since you got your sub. This thing slams. The one thing that I love about this sub is the detail is gives at low volumes. As soon as I set the levels this thing has performed better than I could ever imagine.

I almost let the sub enter the house naked but I knew that once in entered it would probably not be leaving anytime soon. I have done that with other projects and some are still not done. Plus my wife would have killed me bring a 5 cubic ft box into the house unfinished. Talk about being in the dog house. I would have been there awhile. [​IMG]

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Ben,

That sub looks excellent - and from your description of the sound that it creates, that's even better.

It was interesting to read through the subs that you've owned in the past - and the finally settled on a "DIY" which has been the best so far.

Very nice work. [​IMG]

- Wayne

5. Nat Ward

Nat Ward Agent

Ben,
    Exactly. It's very easy to listen to this sub at "low volumes, but then it can also be a beast when cranked up for movies! As for the naked MDF, it's surprising how it's grown on my eyes and I dread the weekend or longer that it'll be down to finish it off this summer. I'm lucky enough to be a single guy with no WAF [​IMG]. Enjoy it!
    Nat

6. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

true dat brother i have been living with primer MDF for a bit over a year now and I have come to love it [​IMG]

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Nice job!

Fwiw, I use hurricane nuts I got from Parts Express...much better than T-nuts.

[​IMG]

8. Ben L C

Ben L C Agent

Jack, Thanks for the tip. I will look into those next time around.

9. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Ben,
    I just got back from being out of town and just saw your pictures. They look very nice and I'm glad you are so happy with your sub. The nice part is you also have the satisfaction knowing you built it yourself!