What's new

Demolition Man (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I don't think you can really say that Demolition Man is prophetic. The writers saw obvious trends that already existed during the time of the writing of the film, and they exaggerated them for the "future." That's not prophetic, that is just... well I don't know it is called, but it isn't prophetic.

The reason this film is so good is because one of the writers was one of the writers of Heathers, I think. And Sandra Bullock shines.

Excellent film. Good commentary track. I have to include my obligatory snipe at Wesley Snipes though: Snipe bites! Ok, done.

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
I was reading reviews on Amazon about Demolition Man, and some people on there are claiming that their copy has the words "Taco Bell" replaced with "Pizza Hut" and some other changes, like Joel Silver being dropped from the commentary. I rented the disc from Netflix, and it is not like that (and is a nice anamorphic transfer, BTW) but I'm wondering if a purchased copy would have that change. I want the original version.

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator

Don't know about the Joel Silver stuff, but the "Taco Bell" has been replaced with "Pizza Hut" at least in the european version. The reason being europeans not knowing what Taco Bell is.

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
Have to recheck my copy, but I'm pretty sure it had "Pizza Hut" instead of "Taco Bell" in dialogue and logos. My dvd is the Finnish R2.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
The R1 and R2 UK has Taco Bell. The rest of R2 land has Pizza Hut. All R2 versions looks beyond crap (since all of them have 3 5.1 tracks), while the R1 version look pretty decent. Interesting note though, I saw this film on TV yesterday which was broadcasted digitally in anamorphic widescreen PAL (wrong aspect ratio though, 1.78:1) and it looked amazing! 10 times better than the R1 edition (aside from the wrong AR). Warner Bros. has obviously created a new master for this film. It's time to release this master on DVD.

The director remarks in the commentary track that he wanted to avoid grain in the picture, but there's a lot on the DVD. The TV broadcast I saw was grain free.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Sandra Bullock licks ass in this movie! :D

Hmm, I will have to watch Demolition Man on my front projector to really see how the transfer holds up...I've had the DVD since the day it was released. Time for a revisit. :)

A new master Magnus? Oh man. Hmm, anyone know if it was broadcast in HD yet?

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
I owned it for about a day, then I sold it. And yes, it was viewed on a large display. I wish I'd kept it so I could post screengrabs. Let me just say this: there's not a frame in the R2 version that doesn't contain mosquito noise. And most of the time it's quite excessive. Sell your R2 copy, Jeannette, and go for the R1 version. ;)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I personally woud love too see an SE of this. Plus, I know they shot extra foorage for the 3D0 video game. NEver had the chance to play the game but would still love too.
THanks

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
'Sandra Bullock licks ass in this movie!'

Hey Max. I'm not sure if the above was a typo or in the deleted scenes!

-Mike

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ah, Demolition Man....the first film I remember seeing Sandra Buttocks..ERR..Bullock in.

Sorry, but along with the rather funny social satire my abiding memory of this film is Sandra in tight black spandex....:emoji_thumbsup:

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
...and damn if Sandra didn't look fine in said spandex pants. Yummy!

Freaks me out that this topic is active again though... I just watched DM again last night! :laugh:

"Let's go blow this guy!" :laugh:

...and yeah.. it is interesting to view this nowadays, what with the ever-increasing PC-ness of our society.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Just watched this tonight, because it was at Wal-Mart for $4.88!

I would really like to see a re-release of this one as it is a fun movie. The transfer isn't the worst I've seen, but it certainly isn't close to reference. And the sound seemed a little laid back. Maybe I'm too used to the crash in "Flight of the Phoenix", or the LOTR:EE's, but the LFE was lacking. Plus, the dialogue wasn't as clear as I'm used to hearing either.

Worth $5 though!:emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've always loved this film, saw it in theaters 3 times in fact. I've had the dvd for years but haven't watched it in a really long time, maybe i'll watch it over the weekend.

This could very well be one of the last great action films of the Lethal Weapon and The Last Boyscout species.

And hell yes, Sandra is so sexy in this film, especially when she get's all angry and flustered when she orders Spartan out of her apartment. Funny how everyone says her carreer started with Speed, but she was equally as good in this film that came out a good 2 years before that one.

The future was hell in this film, never mind Pheonix and Spartan running around killing people and blowing things up, it was hell because there was no more physical contact during sex!

That's not a world I want to live in. :frowning:

One last thing, after all these years, I still am DYING to know how the three sea shells work! :D

AlexBC

Second Unit
You're right in just about every single word there John. This movie totaly rocks, I remember being amazed first time a I saw it.
I really hope Warner Brothers can deliver a great new transfer and audio mix on a 2-disc SE (hehehe I can dream right?)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Well you've got to figure one must be "wash" and one must be "dry", so maybe they're some sort of automated 3 step "wipe, wash, dry" process... We need answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks