What's new

demo quality DVD's that not everyone knows about (1 Viewer)

I cast another vote for Metropolis. I bought it mainly because of the glowing reviews that it received here on the forum.I was very impressed by the 5.1 soundtrack to say the least.And it's a pretty good movie as well IF you are into anime.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Baraka. Shot in 70mm, the video is stunning. My ISF calibrator saw it at my home and now uses it for demo material. His other clients, in turn, bought it. Sound is a fabulous soundtrack featuring the likes of Dead Can Dance. The total effect is hypnotic.
Agreed. I brought this to someone's house to "demo" a projector they were thinking of buying from a dealer. Yep...became the next DVD in their collection.

Pure absolute and perfect audio and visual art.

Koyanisquatsi (sp) is coming to DVD in 16x9 5.1 from MGM very soon as well!

-dave

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Koyanisquatsi (sp) is coming to DVD in 16x9 5.1 from MGM very soon as well!
You bet. I've already pre-ordered it from Amazon. It's funny, the first time I saw both these films, I didn't really like them. They were too different, too contrary to my expectations. I saw them again a year or so later and it was like a light bulb went on. Whatever "it" is, I got "it." Now, after I put my son to sleep, I'll put on Baraka and let it wash over me. I can't wait until 9/17! I'll get "Monsters, Inc. for my David and the two companion films -- please don't ask me to spell their names -- that end with "qatsi" for me.

clay f

Grip
i watched fantasia 2000 last night and i thought the sound quality was great. i was really immersed by the music. the video quality is also amazing. the colors were so vibrant and detailed. i wish i would have gone to see this at imax theaters, it would have been incredible to watch that on the imax's massive screen. did anyone get a chance to go check it out?

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I'll add Battle Royale to the list. I just got the Tartan R0 NTSC disc last night and I thought the transfer and 5.1 soundtrack were phenomenal.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Legend of Bagger Vance has absolutely top notch audio and video, even without any explosions or space battles. ;)
Regards,

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Clay:

RE: Fantasia 2000 in IMAX

Yes, I saw it twice in IMAX at the theater that Disney built here in LA just to show this film (then tore it down after the run.) The whales, in particular, often appeared as if you were watching a 3D movie without the 3D glasses. It was truly extraordinary.

Wes C

Supporting Actor
Kiss of the Dragon. If you dont mind a mindless kung fu movie. I dont, so I bought it and couldnt be happier with the transfer.:emoji_thumbsup:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just watched what looked to me to be a "reference" disc in many respects last night...at least a reference disc in terms of presenting a film-like image with hi-fidelity (not gimicky) audio.

Songcatcher.

Excellent film-like 16x9 1.85:1 image with very little in the way of artifacting or filtering or ringing. Smooth, natural, detailed.

the 5.1 mix doesn't make much use of the surrounds (so it's not a surround demo disc) but the *fidelity* of the audio is amazing. The songs and dialogue are rendered perfectly.

-dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks