What's new

Dementia 13 (1963) - which version to buy on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
This classic cult public domain film has been released by tons of people but which is the best quality version on DVD Region 1 or Region 0 to get?

I know Carnival of Souls was released by Criterion and you can't beat its quality. But what is a good bet for Dementia 13 since Criterion doesn't have it?

Eric

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I'm a bit surprised that no one would answer to this Francis Ford Coppola film?

I am wondering how the Roan version compares to the supposed better Good Times version versus the Marengo one, and etc... ?

Looking for the best possible... Thanks!

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I have the laserdisc of the ROAN version and it is the best I've seen. The commentary is good, too. I asked this question on another forum and it seems the laser was ported for the DVD.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Charles... The best version of "The Terror" that I have found is on a 3 movie disc put out by Vintage called "Jack Nicholson Cult Classics" and still available.

It is Open Matte, the detail is sharp and colors saturated unlike many other versions I have and have seen where the print was faded and damaged.

Eric

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Unfortunately, the Roan DVD of DEMENTIA 13 suffers from compression artifacting so it's nowhere near a perfect disc. I haven't seen any of the other releases.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I have the Marengo version and it suffers from artifacting too (pixelates with fast movements) and contrast is off. I believe it is an early DVD. The Treeline version is too dark and the sound way off.

Has anyone seen the Good Times version? I heard it is better than Alpha's but that isn't saying much.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks