"Deluxe" and "theme sets" (formerly: Sex And The City: HBO's cash cow?)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ben King, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Ben King

Ben King Stunt Coordinator

I see that in addition to bringing out a premium collector's complete series box set, HBO are also releasing themed packs containing various episodes of the show: Lust, Romance, Break-Ups and Mr. Big.

Surely HBO are just having a laugh now?

2. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Well, with SaTC, and to a lesser extent Six Feet Under both being off the air (I never watched the Sopranos and don't follow it so I don't know its status), HBO has yet to have another major drama/comedy break-out like those "classic" series did at the time. Breakout in that it presents massive appeal to a very large audience and steals network viewership rather reliably. Then again, I haven't been watching much TV lately, so maybe they do and I'm just behind the curve.

However, if it's true, then they obviously need to keep HBO TV property on the shelf in different forms to keep their brand in the public eye until the next hit show comes along.

3. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

You'll see more of these as shows wrap up on DVD. They want to continue to make money off properties that have done well, and these themed collections are a good way to do it. They're not targeting the fan that bought the season sets, just the casual fan.

Gord

4. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Gord's words echo the post-season 7 fate of Buffy. Buffy's doing the exact same thing as Sex and the city. I don't have a problem with these extra releases; if the studio's want to make more money off these properties, I hope they make every nickel they can. I already have the season sets, so I won't be buying them again, though; at least not until the next format.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It's also the same thing as The X-Files mythology sets.

6. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

any word if there'll be a deluxe Six Feet Under set? I might contemplate one for $200 or so, the seasons were just too expensive for me, but an entire set would be worth having IMO.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Since the Sex And The City set was $300 MSRP and each SFU is $100 MSRP, I doubt you'd see a SFU series box discounted for less $400.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Since the thread is about more than just SatC, I've edited the title.

M.

9. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Well I don't think $400 for a 6FU set is very economical. It'd have to be around $200 for it to sell at all. Sex and Buffy series sets seem to be nicely discounted, compared to the individual releases. No reason to think that a series set of 6FU would cost the same as its individual releases. I expect Sopranos to get a series set one of these fine days. Probably add to that the Brady Bunch once its done, and lots of other shows. This doesn't bother me; I've always thought the Sopranos was a gyp...if they can sell a series set of that, which ends up being much cheaper than the individual seasons, I'd consider buying it.

10. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I completely agree but I don't think HBO will make a SFU set only due to the price. The MSRPs for Sex And The City (as single sets) total up to $340. They sold that series set for $300 MSRP. The total for the single releases of SFU will be $500 (once Season Five comes out) and I can't see them discounting that price by $200 or more just to sell it as a set.

Never say never though...

11. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

Fox priced the Buffy collection at literally half what it'd cost to buy seasons 1-7 at list price, why wouldn't HBO do the same for SFU, which ran not even half as many episodes. And even though S&TC retailed for $299.99, places like Best Buy marked it regularly priced at $199.99, while on sale even cheaper. Considering Six Feet Under had 12-13 episode seasons, $200-300 for all 63 episodes is hardly asking for them to give it to us for next to nothing.

Six Feet Under seems to top a LOT of people's "I'd buy it if it was cheaper" lists. Showtime realized the same thing applied with Queer As Folk and they've been slowly dropping the prices of the season sets that were once $100. Even Fox is dropping the X-Files sets that once retailed for $149.99 to $49.99.

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

If they planned on cutting prices, why didn't they cut the price for for Sex And The City box set? There's a $40 difference in price between the full series set and the sets individually. Five sets of Six Feet Under are $500 so if HBO only cut the cost of SatC by $40, I just don't think they're going to cut $200 off of a SFU series set (in order to get it to a $300 MSRP so a store would discount it to $200).

13. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well, the Sex And The City sets have always been more reasonably priced, the sets have never been expensive compared to SFU which retailed twice as much as the S&TC sets

NOBODY has sold the S&TC set for the full $300, I got mine at FYE for $161.99, it wasn't one of those sets that nobody discouted