What's new

Deltamac or Megastar version of Police Story 3/Supercop? (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Which is the preferred version of Supercop/Police Story 3? I found listings on eBay for versions by Deltamac and Megastar. The only Megastar listing was region 0, so am I correct in assuming that was a bootleg? There were r3 and r0 listings for the Deltamac release.

Is either release worth getting? Or is there a better release on the horizon?

Thanks,
Dave

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Being on eBay is what would make it a boot. There is a legit R0 Megastar out there though. I didn't see anything about the Deltamac release, but here is a review from www.asiandvdguide.com on the Megastar:

A little over a year and a half ago, I bought the Mega Star release of "Super Cop" from Five Star Laser. Not too long after that I sold it. Mostly it was because the film played terribly on my old Panasonic A-110. Now that I've bought it again, I can recount some of the other reasons I got rid of it the first time.

The transfer is from a clean-looking film print, but the mastering job is terrible. First of all, it's quite obviously a PAL transfer, and suffers from extreme blurriness of motion. This is especially noticeable because of the compression job done on this disc, which is simply awful. The bitrate hovers between 1 (!) and 5 Mbps, even during action scenes, causing very noticeable posterization of colors and obvious pixelization (especially in darkened scenes). The color appears to be quite washed out, and balanced a little too far towards the red end of the spectrum.

The subtitles are large and mis-timed, as seems typical for early Mega Star releases. It's not just a case of them being timed with the Mandarin; they seem to run a second or two behind either audio soundtrack. On the plus side, they're not terribly hard to decipher, meaning-wise, although it helps if you've seen the English version before (as a non-Chinese speaker).

I'm not sad I picked it up again; I've always been a fan of this film and no longer suffer from the idea that one can't own two versions of the same film. However, until someone does a remaster of this movie, I'd still pick the Buena Vista dub job (and I -hate- dubs) for a workout of the Home Theater.

virelai
dddhouse is currently out of the Deltamac, but they have the Megastar version in stock for $40HK (~$5.25US). And no fear of boots either.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks