Delorme's Topo USA 3.0

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I have the opportunity to buy this used (unregistered) for $40 and I was just wondering if any of you have used it before? I guess worse comes to worse, I can sell it too and not worry about losing too much money.. The MSRP is like $99 or so..

I thought it would be easier than plotting UTM coordinates by hand and handy to upload waypoints of trailless summits around NY/NJ into my GPS for backup purposes. The elevation profiles would be neat too and faster than doing them by hand. Has anybody used this before? It's a 7-CD set covering the whole US of A, which I presume covers Alaska and Hawaii... I am an avid hiker/backpacker and cyclist and the other USGS topo reader I've used was OziExplorer which is very nice in it's own regards...

Jay

2. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

I haven't used it, but a guy in our local skate club has used Topo USA along with his Garmin to capture details of where our group skates went. And frankly, it's freakin cool! See for yourself: http://www.skatedc.org/maps/
    Andrej

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    It has roads? [​IMG] Cool, I can do that on my bike routes... The demo I downloaded was zoomed to Glacier National Park, do you know if it has the option to import USGS maps and or road maps (with lat/long data of course)? The problem with my roads is that I'm not in a major city like Washington D.C. and I wonder if a Nationwide GIS database is going to include the backroads I normally ride on.
    Anyway, I think for $40, I can't go wrong anyway, the guy who's selling it says it doesn't do what he needs and bought a more expensive program and I had somebody else who has a regional one tell me it's not that great but I guess for $40, it's worth a checkout anyway...
    Jay
    BTW, when are we riding/skating across the country? [​IMG]

4. Andrej Dolenc

Only direct experience I have with those things is one of the GPS units with road maps built in, I was pretty impressed with the back roads that it found and mapped. Figure PC based software with a bigger database should only have more detail. And you're right, $40 isn't all that bad. It's not like $40 will keep you from a major HT upgrade or anything!
    Hmm, I'm thinking that a cross country ride would do wonders to train me for my rollerblading marathon in October [​IMG] But it'd be a tough call, do I take the skates, or take the Klein?
    Andrej

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Actually, Andrej, the more I think about it, the more fun it seems. I bet we could do a HTF, across the country tour, we're both on the east coast, we could ride from HTF member's house to house and spread the HTF love. Maybe we can get a custom Home Theater Forum bike jersey and do some advertising and promoting. Hell, the HTF has their own HTF cruise, we could cruise but of a different sort. I just wonder how do we take the 53" widescreen TV with us? Drag it on a set of rollers???

This is an interesting idea, would you be crazy enough to try something like this? Maybe talk to Ron and Packy, they're also from NJ like me!

Jay

I'm so psyched, on my bike home today, I finally connected two abandoned RR right-of-ways together so now I can ride to work with only a small minimal amount on the road, which means in winter I don't have to worry about cars sliding on ice or snow into me and it's just more fun! There's only one part where it crosses a river on a RR bridge (i.e. only the RR ties crossings are there, there's no surface). I am right now too chicken to cross it as it's 1)old and 2)missing some ties 3)kind of high and finally 4)I'm usually alone so if something happens to me, I'm in deep sh*t!

6. Andrej Dolenc

I could be talked into riding / skating cross country. Though if we were gonna do it for real, I'd want a road bike and right now I'm having way too much fun on my MTB to drop serious $$ on a road bike. I enjoy travelling way too much, eventually you feel cooped up & gotta just get out & go somewhere!

With enough planning, and enough support from HTF members scattered around the country, it might even be possible to do this trip without a support vehicle. Fit enough stuff in paniers and / or a bike trailer which we would take turns pulling along. Otherwise we'd have to con a 3rd person to drive along. Which actually could work out well too, if you need a break from riding you drive the vehicle for a while or a day.

Andrej

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey Andrej, looks like I'm too late, the guy sold it to somebody who offered like 65 clams and postage to him. I found out that maptech.com makes great Topo program, I downloaded the demo and it looks pretty cool, 3D maps and everything, just like Topo 3.0. Their demo is almost fully functional on a small section and I was to do routes and profiles pretty easily. If you have broadband or anything, they do have a demo you can dl and it's a working demo too. It's big though, like 15MBs for the one they have on the AT in CT.

Ah, wasn't sure if your Klein was a road or MTB... Actually, if you get a trailer, I would imagine the MTB frame would be better for it in the long run, being more durable and beefier to handle the loads. I think the idea of the cross country ride, being unsupported could be done if you do a bunch of planning.. One can mail packages to various post offices across the country for pickup, much like the people who hike the AT do, so one can get somebody from home or so to mail out packages prepacked to various post offices around the country. Then we'd be able to go and pick it up and mail stuff back if anything we don't need... Certainly, depending on the route, we'd need cold weather gear for the rockies.

Jay

8. Andrej Dolenc

Guess as long as it can download the info from the GPS unit itself it'll likely be just as good. I don't have the cable to hook up my GPS to the computer, and lately I haven't used it all that much. Might not be a bad idea once I start training more seriously, along with hooking it up to some software like what you're looking at. But given that the race isn't until October, I'm still in off-season mode. Skate or other exercise when I feel like it, but if something else comes up, well, I skipped a lot of other stuff to train last year so now I'm catching up [​IMG]
    I'm still tweaking my Klein right now, not sure that I'd want to ride it 3000 miles as it is. After a few hours of riding on roads or flat trails, my wrists feel it a bit. Generally not a problem when I'm off roading since you're never still all that long. So I'll see if I can either rotate the handlebar around a bit, or I might investigate either a riser bar or bar-ends. I'm somewhat hesitant of giving up that 1/2" of wrist room at the end for the bar-ends though.
    Andrej

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    If you like your real estate, riser bars would be a good idea, however you can get flat bars in different lengths. I have a pair of Easton MonkeyLite bars that came with the bike on my dualie and flat bars on my hardtail. I think I personally like the flat bars with barends on them as I think it's more versitle than the risers, which seems like a compromise to me. (besides the fact that if you're the type that only rides downhill, then getting barends caught in trees would be deadly!).
    Do you know anybody interested in a GPS unit? I'm considering upgrading to a Garmin Etrex Vista if I can unload my old Magellan Map 410. I really like MapTech's terrainnavigator demo but it doesn't support my Map 410 and I hate waiting for people to write device drivers. So I might consider upgrading if I can unload the MAP 410.
    It's practically brand new since Magellan had a recall on the unit and my old unit was replaced with a new unit so it's practically scratchless, it has the latest firmware and I have the data cable (serial port) for a PC.
    http://www.magellangps.com/products/gps410.htm
    Is the product link... Just curious before I try the hiking boards....
    Jay

10. Andrej Dolenc

I'll have to measure my handlebar to see how wide it is, Titec is clearing out some blue anodized flat bars for $20. If it's a little wider, I might try that bar (would match my blue bike [​IMG] How cheezy would that be!) and add bar ends. The bike currently does have a flat bar on it, but I think if I add bar ends to this one my hands would move inwards further than I want them to be. Or I might see if I can borrow a pair from somebody. I've got a few buddies that aren't riding much now.
    I can ask around with my skate buddies to see if anybody is interested in a GPS, but if all else fails, there's always ebay..
    Andrej