Dell wired optical mouse

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jay H, May 15, 2006.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I just replaced a standard Microsoft ball mouse with a Dell optical wired mouse and noticed that sometimes the pointer on the screen randomly jumps to a corner for some reason.

I read online about interference with other devices but this is a standard USB wired mouse. I also just removed the mousepad I was using cause I heard that might be problemsome. Anyway, if the mousepad isn't it, is there anything that could be causing this weird problem.

I didn't have to install any drivers for it, Windows 2000 PnP detected the device and installed some generic MS driver for it. I noticed my wheel doesn't act as a double-click anymore but that is not a big deal.

Jay

2. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Jay, the Dell mouse is just a rebadged Logitech mouse, you should be able to find drivers on the logitech website. It might help, good luck.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks Jassen, I installed some Logitech drivers and now I have my double-click functionality back.

I think removing the mouse pad fixed the weird jumpings, I haven't noticed it since I removed the pad so I think the pad was causing the weirdness, not the driver. However, it's nice to have my double click back!

Jay

4. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

We have a ton of those Dell mice at my office and a handfull have that problem, but not all. Basically you want to use optical mice on an evenly colored, light hued surface.

The newer computers here came with an essentially all white mouse pad. What we found was that the old mouse pad had a bright circle in the middle with the Dell logo surrounded by a black border. It seems that the stark contrast can cause the optics to freak out. When we used the new pads with the offending mice it fixed the problem.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I was actually using a free mouse pad that I got from Honda, it has a bunch of different colored square's with Honda's "H" logo on it.

Now I'm simply using my bare table, which happens to be a light tan color! No problems since...

I have seen those standard Dell mouse pads though.

Jay