What's new

Dell To Bundle Google Tool Bar etc., From Now On, Yuk! (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I hate extra tool bars. This new deal between Dell and Google could be just enough to keep me from buying another Dell computer. That and the fact that their service has become quite expensive since I bought my 4400 3 years ago.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
dell has been bundling extra garbage for years, but now that they are including a toolbar (which can EASILY be turned off), you wont buy from them anymore?

CJ

CRyan

Screenwriter
Certainly, everyone has their quirks about what they want and don't want. But whenever I restore a PC or buy a new one, that is the first thing I install - I love it.

And as Christ said, it is so easy to turn off versus the other crap they put on there, no biggie for me.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys. I didn't know that I could turn off the Google tool bar. When I read about it I must have had a PTSD experience because my sister has about 30% of her screen taken up with tool bars. In addition to the usual suspects, she has AOL toolbar, Google tool bar.

I like to have the minimum amount of screen space taken up by such things.

Thanks again.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
First thing I do when I get a new computer is remove all the junk. The Google toolbar was the easiest thing to remove on the Dell I bought in April.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The Google toolbar is pretty benign and does a good job of stopping popups.

If you want to avoid using crapware then don't use IE, period.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Pre-installing tons of crap is nasty, but most brand-name manufacturers do it these days.

What's really annoying is that you don't get a clean XP copy on CD or DVD with the machines anymore. That just stinks. The "recovery" install CD's that come with the machines (in some cases) just contain the same crapfest of an install that is on there when you buy it.

Fortunately, I believe you can at least buy the Windows XP install media for a few bucks when getting the machine. I'd definitely do that and then do a reformat of the machine first thing.

Well, assuming I didn't just buy the hardware in parts and assemble my own machine.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
The Google toolbar is one of the most useful widgets out there. I suggest to keep it and dump AOL and Yahoo!, etc.,etc.

John Watson

Screenwriter
geez, I sympathize with the issue. I got a Compaq with XP, they told me at the Staples store that it would require me to prepare my own recovery disks, and that it would be 3-4 disks.

it actually took 11 cds!!

what a load of bundled crap there must be on board. even what I see looks cluttered.

there are so many bars and icons eating up the screen.

a workspace seems to be the last thing on the industry's mind. and easy-to-manage systems are against the industrie's principles :frowning:

as Kimmo suggests, a clean single cd XP will be my next move.

I've been told I can demand this of the Manufacturer, in this case Compaq?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks