What's new

Dell Small Business Server --> Pricing? (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm spec-ing a Dell Small Business Server PowerEdge 2800 with Windows SBS for a studio that I'm now working for. I'd like to do what I can to bring the price down from where it currently is.
Does anyone know a good method for doing this?

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
What sort of studio is it? You can save a lot of money by getting a Microsoft Action Pack subscription and using the SBS and CALs (10) you get with it, but you need to qualify.

Another way to save money on Dells is not to buy any peripherals (HDDs, RAM) and getting them from another company. It's always cheaper.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It's a film studio in Durham, NC. We're getting ready to produce a feature film, and need the server for primarily administrative purposes.

What is the qualifier for the Action Pack?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Administrative use typically implies low to moderate useage, so you may not need a high end computer. Like, at my office, we just use an old PIII system with linux since it doesn't do much more than handle files (ftp) and email.

Is there anything that needs to be ran on the computer that will require much oomph? Could probably cut a lot of cost by buying lowec end parts if your not doing anything particularly demanding.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
To qualify for the Action Pack you must be in an IT related field and your company must "distribute or influence the acquisition of Microsoft software and Microsoft-based solutions by end customers". Normally this means a developer, consultant, system builder, host or retailer. The package includes over $10,000 worth of software for $299.

The PowerEdge 2800 seems like overkill for general administrative use. It would be ideal for database work or remote apps for a lot of users, but for general admin even something like the SC430 should be fine (I have three of these running at my office together with two 2ks, and they're a bargain for what you get).

Adam

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The server will be initially used for Exchange, File Storage, Backup, and Web Hosting.
The web hosting will become pretty significant as time goes on as we'll be going into promotion for our projects.
The network then needs to be scalable such that we'll be sharing video throughout the facility in the relatively near term future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks