Dell Server?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenn, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

Dell keeps having these great deals on their servers and I am wondering what I would need to do to one to use it as a server in my home. I think I would like for a server to store MP3s, maybe some videos and possibly run a small web site.

What software or hardware would I need to use a Dell server to so this? I am looking at the Dell server which is on sale for under $300 now. I have DSL with a router/hub running to my other computers now.

Does anyone have a server in their house and if so, what do you use it for?

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. Ken.Nischan

Ken.Nischan Agent

I have a few servers. They are providing several services. My Dell P4 2.0ghz is a file, web, ftp & primary DNS server. I have an old Pentium 233 for mail & secondary DNS and a Pentium 800 for an Active Directory domain controller. I have grandiose plans for more stuff and a conversion to rack mounting, but the $$ I'm saving is going for my Sharp 10000 instead [​IMG] For the needs you list any server would work, even a workstation actually. File serving doesn't require a powerful system, just alot of storage. Running a small website isn't much more strain. You could go to a yard sale and get an old Pentium 133 with 128mb of RAM, slap in a nice sized hard drive and be good.

3. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Glenn, if you opt to go the "garage sale" route, you might want to check with your local Micro Center stores. I (literally) stumbled upon a stack of old Pentiums they had on the floor in the back of their PC section at the Cincinnati location. They have everything from Pentium 100's on up starting at $17.99, all with a minimum of 32 MB RAM and a 1.7 GB hard drive. None of them included a keyboard or mouse, but I imagine you could pick up a cheap KVM switch and share it with your existing PC.

My brother in high school now has his own workstation for typing papers and making PowerPoint presentations for less than the cost of a typewriter. Whether it's faster than a typewriter is debatable. [​IMG]

I'm not sure how well the consumer versions of Windows fare as Web servers, but you'll need to find some OS to run on the DELL if you choose to go that route, since the $300 version doesn't come with one. Linux would likely be a great option for this application, if you're into that sort of thing (I'm not). Picking up an old license for NT 4.0 Workstation on eBay might be the easiest way to go.