Dell MP2200, $634 shipped, good for a secondary TV/PJ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sami Kallio, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I'm really tempted at this price. I need a third TV set for either bedroom or second living room and at this price I don't think I could go wrong. I'm not thinking of going very large on the screen size, maybe 60-80" so I'm thinking the 4:3 and 800x600 won't hurt too much.

Any thoughts? Alternatives? I have a CRT FP for my HT and a 32" CRT as my secondary set right now.

Here is the link to the deal: http://www.ableshopper.com/#15021230

2. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

It's pretty bad. I played around with one back at Christmas time before deciding to purchase a 4805. RBE is far, far greater than it is with the 4805 (presumably due to the slower color wheel). General image quality, especially in 16x9 mode, was not great. Contrast and brightness are clearly off (twice the lumens rating as the 4805, but it seemed dimmer to me). It's simply not a home theater projector.

I know it's cheap -- that price is really low. For what you want to do it may be okay. Casual viewers will think it's fine.

But for another $266 you can get a 4805 *with* 76" screen and 30' S-Video cable....

3. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Where can I get the 4805 with a screen for $900? I saw the CostCo deal for $1000 but for $900 I think I would do it. $1k for a secondary set is too much right now, don't want to put that kind of money into it but $900 with a screen might be too tempting to pass up.

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

$900? Yeah, please do tell???!!!

--
    H

5. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

You're right, I guess that would be $366. But you should give TV Authority a call, they won't say their price online so maybe it's lower.

6. Howard Clarke

I recently saw a mp2200 in action at a class I was attending. The picture was very bright even with the lights on and the computer image (powerpoint) looked sharp. But everytime the someone walked in front of the screen I could see RBE. It actually followed the movements of the person, it was quite strange and got to be very anoying. I can only imagine how bad it would be on an action movie. The other problem was it ran very very very hot. You could not even touch it, seriously. Even at that price I would stay away from this one as a HT PJ.