Dell misclocked my PC?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_L, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

So my dad bought a Dell a bit over a year ago. Thing runs like a turtle, but for $400 we didn't complain. I figure while he's out of town I'll pop in some extra memory. (He only has 256 right now - running XP) as a nice gifty sorta thing...

So I go into the bios and note that the memory is running at 333. Then I pop the cover and look at the memory and it is labled 256 DDR 400 CL3. So I wonder - WTF? Is this PC mobo running at 333 or 400? What memory should I buy?

To complicate things m dad didn't keep the packing slip (though who knows if that would be accurate) and I cannot find anything on the MOBO which hints as to it's clockspeed....

Any suggestions??

2. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

Download CPU-Z (google it). It will tell you everything you need to know about processor/motherboard/memory and speeds.

3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Its running at 333MHz, but the RAM is capable of handling up to 400MHz bus speeds (if everything else such as the Motherboard and CPU support that speed).

5. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit

You can also go on Dell's website and enter the Service Tag number and it will tell you the configuration when it was purchased. You will also be able to get any bios/driver updates as well. Latest drivers often times will help performance.

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Its quite possible that they just no longer stocked the slower 333 RAM and used 400 instead - nothing unusual. Generally the RAM is subjugate to the processor/bus speed, and if you put in RAM thats too slow, it won't start at all, instead of run at a slower speed.

As far as what memory should you buy, Crucial.com (and Kingston, I believe) have an excellent tool that will identify the memory that you need for your computer and give you several options on sizes, as well as telling you the max that your particular computer can hold.