Dell Mail in Rebate???

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Michael Varacin, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

I just looked at Dell's web site. They now offer computers with mail in rebates. WTF? I'm ordering a computer direct from the manufactuer, and I have to turn around and mail them a rebate form?

How out of control is that getting?

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

It is pretty pathetic, but the rebate is pretty quick. They keep you informed of when they receive your application and when they mail out the check.

As far as rebates go, it was a very smooth process. However... wtf ?

3. Chuck Mullen

Chuck Mullen Stunt Coordinator

I've given this some thought as almost any discount you get nowadays is a mail in rebate.
    It seems to me if a huge company like Dell can hold all the rebates in the bank for another week or two it would add up to a lot of interest. Think about all the rebates nationally and it makes sense. It would have to be thousands of dollars wouldn't it?

4. Kevin_Spradley

Kevin_Spradley Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget about the all the people who will not mail the rebate forms back to Dell. That equals lots of money.

5. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Don't forget about the all the people who will not mail the rebate forms back to Dell.

That's the main reason. Companies will also do whatever they can to avoid sending the rebates. Just read some of the crazy rules on some of them, like "item must be purchased in state where customer resides". Or "no PO boxes" (when the rebate address itself is ALWAYS a PO box). Or a store advertises multiple rebates on a product, then you find each one requires the original UPC, so it's not possible to claim them all.

I've just about stopped buying anything with mail-in rebates, since only about half of them ever show up.

6. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I bought a Dell last year and got a mail-in rebate form. While I also believe that an instant rebate would be nice, my check arrived in just under 3 weeks so it really wasn't a big deal. It is amazing how many people won't take the time to fill out a simple form, which takes about a minute, to get back 100 bucks!!!

7. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Dell is also more flexible when it comes to redeeming rebates. When I bought my Axim, I qualified for a $50 rebate. But Dell's trick is that you have to send a copy of the packing slip too! Well I somehow couldn't find mine so I called Dell up and the kind woman just credited me $50 on my credit card. Most companies would have just said too bad, so sad.

8. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> It is amazing how many people won't take the time to fill out a simple form, which takes about a minute, to get back 100 bucks!!!

It's amazing how Dell can't just drop the price by $100 and avoid all this nonsense.