Dell Laptop Video Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Baucom, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Chris Baucom

Chris Baucom Stunt Coordinator

My work computer is a Dell laptop that is about 1 year old. It works great but it only has an 8Mb video card. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the video card on a laptop? I am assuming the video controller is affixed to the motherboard somehow, so I probably couldn't do it on my own like I have done on my desktop at home. But can I just send it back to Dell or to a local shop for the upgrade? I have written Dell and so far have only gotten automated responses that don't really answer my question.

2. TerryS

TerryS Agent

It depends on what model you have. Your best bet is the dell forums, support.dell.com . Click on community and find the forum for your model. They have a message board for hardware upgrades on both latitudes and inspirons.

3. Howie D

Howie D Stunt Coordinator

Chris, for Dell laptops you cannot change the amount of video since it is part of the board. Not sure if you're using the Latitude series or Inspiron but I work with the Latitudes and do not know of anyway of changing the video memory.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moving to HTPC/computers area.

5. TerryS

TerryS Agent

Certain later models of latitudes and inspirons can upgrade video cards. I belive the latitude c840 and c810 is pin compatible with the inspiron 8200 line. I'm not entirely sure what the c610 can do. If its a cpx or something like that, you may be out of luck. These last few models have actually used a card instead of the old style of sodering the graphics controller right to the system board. Thats why his best bet is to goto the appropriate dell forum and see what others are doing with his model. Dell will sell you the appropriate upgrade if you know what you are asking for, but of course they don't endorse or support the procedure.