What's new

Dell keeps sending me monitors? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
we should place bets on the final number of monitors received :) 5 extra monitors is getting ridiculous. is it this monitor? if so, you have $5k of extra monitors?

CJ

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

That doesn't say anything about what happens if he DOESN'T contact them after the shipping error. I find it extremely difficult to believe that he is legally allowed to keep the goods if he doesn't contact Dell and tell them about the rror, since it is NOT unsolicited merchandise, but a shipping error, and he knows it.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Mike, people are idiots. I (Allen Marshall) will be taking the roll of the idiot in this play. Maybe I did win something and I have no idea. Seems just as likely in this whacky debockle.

That's the one Christ. I could barely afford to buy one and now they just keep piling in. Maybe it's gods way of making me happy before the world ends. I suspect I'll most likely end up giving them back so the fact that they keep popping up has no effect on me. Mildly I brought the newest one in and put it in the corner and went back to making lunch.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I don't believe in God,fate,Kharma, or Spaghetti. I'd keep them unless they ask for them back. These big companies screw millions of poeple over every year, I'm sorry but if you think the golden rule is going to get you anywhere with them you're kidding yourself. Stike em in a closet, if they don't say anything in a few months then sell the ones you don't want.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Kharma, God, Fate, and/or Spaghetti aren't going to be the ones sending you to court. ;)

p.s. You also don't have to believe in kharma to believe in ethics.

RichardK

Second Unit
You will receive a phone call/letter in the mail/email, about the shipping error.
It will have specific instructions on how the merchandise should be returned.
If you do not respond in due time you will receive an invoice for the extra monitors you received in error.
You will then be asked to return the items within 30days or your credit card will be charged.
If you are charged, and dont want the items, you will still be allowed to return the merchandise for full credit and no questions asked. If you dont return the items or if you can not cover the cost via your credit card, a letter of collection will be sent to you.
A collection on your credit report takes 7yrs to be removed, even if you pay the collection the next day.

Pick up the phone today and call them to get a return document. Who knows, you may be offered some sort of gift certificate for making them aware of there mistake.

Due to the strange events you might just see a $5K credit on your CC for the returns!
Now, what do you do? :b

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor

Well I guess I prefer not to generalize like that. With me every speific situation deserves a specific response. If it was SVS accidently sending me a bunch of subs, I'd wait until they stopped comming (unless it got ridiculous) and I'd send them all back. For one I dont need them or want to go through the hassle of selling them all, and two, enormous respect factor for SVS. Dell also has a couple more bucks then SVS. Like I said it's not like im kicking out one of their legs here. Before you call it immature give that concept some deep thought for a couple hours.

Now if they called me knowing I didnt have to legally give them back, but asked anyway, that's a quality request. Under that circumstance I'd give them back.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
My To Do list this week:

- Browse the Web for the cheapest airfare to Chicago, the next available flight will do
- Upon arrival, locate a certain Mr. Marshall
- Hang out at his front door for a few days and collect twenty widescreen Dell monitors from the UPS guy that keeps delivering them
- Sell the monitors on eBay in order to finance hotel accommodations, fine dining, and car rental for a week, as well as souvenirs for the family and return airfare :)

Mark Giles

Second Unit

I bet and hope, for Allen's sake, it stops at 8 total. If it doesnt, billion dollar company or not, I'm sure they'll start to notice 10's of thousands of merchandise going to the same address. Or their books has to notice that big of a loss sooner or later.

Mark Giles

Second Unit
Hey, Allen. I forgot if you mentioned this before, but did any of these monitors required signatures? If not, whos to say 10 hasnt been delivered and someone else (like my evil twin Marko :D ) hasnt picked one up. Since your neighbor was able to grab one...he may have six 24 inch dell monitors in house somewhere too.

I'm just saying. How can they prove you accepted all 6 monitors so far? Besides the mailman saying some guy at 100 Main Place and 102 Main Place accepted the package.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
For those who think it's ok to screw big companies (because of their deep pockets), I would like to personally thank you for the price increases those companies make (that I have to pay) in order to offset the people who screwed them. :)

Like I (and others) have said...SOMEONE is going to pay for those monitors. Be it an employee or the consumer. ;)

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
What Mark said. It'll be interesting to monitor (pun intended) the price trend of Dell's 24-inch widescreen displays in the coming weeks. :D

Mark Giles

Second Unit

I dont shop at Dell! :D

No but seriously though, the prices will increase regardless. If it isnt Allen, it will be someone else. There's no preventing that.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know, my comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek...not that one incident will cause a direct increase, but I can see how several incidents can cause it.

I've actually seen small businesses do stuff like this. I know, Dell isn't a small business, but I'm sure they find ways of getting the lost $$ back somehow.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
While reasonable to assume this is a shipping error, Allen has no knowledge of what is really going on. Michael Dell might be gleefully tweaking the system, randomly sending hardware to lucky people and testing the Dell QA folks.

Allen, if/when Dell requests that you correct their mistake, be sure to firmly ask how they're going to make it up to you. You will have wasted time and energy receiving and storing the monitors. You will have to talk with Dell, process paperwork, and possibly make an extra trip to UPS or stay at home waiting for them to pick up the hardware. It's a few hours of your time and you're not paid by Dell. So it's reasonable to ask for some compensation in return.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks