Dell Inspiron 1100 Notebook Or Another?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chas_T, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Does anyone have experience with the Dell Inspiron 1100 Notebook? I am buying a laptop for an xmas gift and this is like $600 after rebates. Do not need a heavy duty power machine as this will be used for basic computing.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd

Reviews on various websites have been at both ends of the spectrum with this computer.

Also, any other comparable suggestions, i.e. Gateway, Toshiba in the same price range would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Charles

2. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

What will you be using it for? Web, email and word processing?

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I own the 5100 which is very similar to the 1100 and quite like it. We just bought my cousin the toshiba A30 that's currently on sale everywhere and its not to bad either. The toshiba's screen is IMO slightly better then my 5100's but build quality isn't quite as high and we're now on our 3rd since the first one had a stuck pixel and the second had a problem with the cooling fan coming on more then it should. Not sure if that's an indication on toshiba's quality control or if we just had bad luck.

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The 600M's are very nice given their much longer battery life. I'd want a 15" screen though as I find the 14" a little small for everyday use (though I run dual monitors all the time so I'm used to having lots or desktop space[​IMG])