Dell Flat Screen, Wide Aspect 20 Inch Monitor Questoin

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Apr 19, 2005.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

We just bought the wide aspect monitor with our new computer. My father let me keep it as I'm the movie watcher in the house.

Now, a question. I'm running Power DVD 5. I pop in an anamorphic movie and in theory, the movie should fill up the entire, if not most of the screen, yet I still get a gracious portion of black bar.

For anyone else who has this monitor, or a similair widescreen monitor, what did you do to solve this? Or does Power DVD not support anamorphic video?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    what is the aspect ratio of the monitor and movie?

CJ

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Image Aspect Ratio: 16:10 .

I popped in Star Wars Ep 2. Not sure of the aspect

4. MarkMac

MarkMac Stunt Coordinator

Hey Neil-
    Star Wars has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, so you will still get black bars at the top and bottom. Try a movie with a 1.78:1 ratio. See if that fills the screen for you.

...by the way, I grew up in Wyckoff...I'm a Ramapo graduate [​IMG]

5. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    A 1.78:1 movie may still have bars on a 16:10 computer screen because 1.6 is narrower than 1.78. Not sure how Power DVD handles that (and I have a Dell widescreen notebook with a 16:10 screen, but I never use it for movies).

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Ahh, that got it. I popped in shrek wich said it was a 1.78:1 and it filled the entire screen. Looked great too [​IMG].

Now I have to see if the monitor has an option to filter out the black bars and zoom in only on the picture.

And yep, I graduated from Ramapo Highschool too. They just did the whole school over again. Have to see what the inside looks like now adays.

7. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

[​IMG]

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I think Kyle's reaction here is pretty typical to what you'll see here if you mention zooming in on a 2.35:1 movie... I know I share it. [​IMG]

See this site: http://www.widescreen.org/widescreen.shtml

Now repeat after me: black bars are good! [​IMG]

The only way to fit a proper 2.35:1 image onto your monitor is with black bars. Everything else will either squash the image together (yuck) or simply remove part of the picture on the edges (yuck). The black bars are already a great deal less visible on your monitor than they are on a normal 1.33:1 monitor.

9. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

true. And I found the zoom, and it did look pretty terrible. Oh well, it still looks better than it did on my old monitor [​IMG]