Dell Effed up my computer.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank_S, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Well Dell seems to make it their business to screw up.
    I had an issue with my Dell system so I called Tech. Support. The techie has me delete some files and voila, my system is fucked up beyond repair now. I have spent 8 hours on the phone in the last 2 days trying to fix his fuckup, but I am being told I must re-install my operating system.
    You all know what a pain in the ass that is, I guess by the end of the week I could have everything restored on my computer. What really bothers me is that they could really care less when they make a mistake, they are not accountable. I will never buy another Dell product again and don't get me started on that commercial. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I could say more but[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Sorry for the rant but I am completely pissed off!!

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Without knowing more about your situation (operating system, etc) its hard to say whether it can be fixed without reinstalling. At the very minimum, installing the OS over itself will usually fix the problem, and you don't have to reinstall any applications or lose your data. I'm willing to bet, though, that everything can be fixed without a whole lot of trouble.
    That being said, I know how sucky it is to rely on tech support and have them mess it up. Sadly, tech support is awful and it attracts a lot of uncaring people. Those that generally want to soon become bitter of their job and stop caring. Its sad, I know. [​IMG] The pressure of call times and stressful calls from irate folks does not make this job fun. I know that's no excuse whatsoever, but I thought I'd give some insight into one of the crummiest jobs around.

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

5. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

I did not have an attitude when I first called them, I was very patient. You have to keep in mind that the endless automated messages and 1 hour hold times take a toll on anyones patience.

The original problem I had was with Norton. When I booted up the system on Monday morning there was an error message on the screen. That is when I called Dell support. I waited 1 hour on hold and the techie and I worked on my computer for 3 hours. He had me go into the system register to delete files. I asked if he was really sure that we should be doing this and he said, yes, I'm sure. I found out after talking to another techie that Dell NEVER does that, he said they never mess with system register files. He said whoever had me do this was wrong.

I have called back all day yesterday and this morning to find anyone who will help me fix the problem. I get the same answer from all of them, we will have to re-format your hardrive, IOW, I will have to re-load all my applications and data. Anyway, I am always willing to give people the benefit of the doubt, but in this case, I believe I was given improper advice, you may or may not agree.

6. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Frank, you have every right to be mad. They srewed you and should be held accountable.

7. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Dear Frank,

They did the same thing to me last year. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about with Tech Support and Customer Service at Dell.

On the upside, I learned a lot about computers fixing it my DAMN SELF!

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Frank maybe this will cheer you up:
    [​IMG]
    If you know anyone on your street who's a computer geek ask if they can come over and help. It's probably best not to call them a computer geek though.

9. Jeremiah W

Jeremiah W Stunt Coordinator

Scott,[​IMG] Even a pic of that dell idiot in a joke makes me wanna bust the monitor

10. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Dude,

You're entering Hell!!

I've been down the Dell road of tech support. Never again. I assemble my computers myself now.

-JNS

11. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

If you're using anything newer than Windows 95, then you'll probably be alright. All the new versions of windows automatically keep old versions of the registry. It takes about 2 min to restore to a previous version. They are sorted by date, so you can pick one before Monday.

And I don't mean to start a war or anything, but Dell does do registry fixes. They should have, however, is back up the current registry before making any changes. Also, they shouldn't ever delete files, they should just rename them.

If you want to post which operating system you're using, I can post instructions on restoring a working copy of the registry.

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Here's what I do... think partitions.
    Windows is so unstable... you gotta put them on different partitions from your files so you can regularly reinstall it. I totally reinstall windows every 6-8 months because it begins to break at the seams after a while. (of course, it may have to do with my crappy 3-year-old Dell... but that problem will soon be remedied [see other thread])
    so, Get a program like PartitionMagic... move your files away from the OS... you can reinstall till the cows come home and your files are safe [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Eric Gan

Eric Gan Agent

Frank,

We feel your pain. Take it as a learning experience. All operating systems will crash on you....Windows more than others. Rob's advice is good, and it's a sign of a veteran who knows the pitfalls of having to reinstall and restore everthing.

Use a partition for the O/S. Keep programs and data on separate partitions. Backup the OS partition with some software that takes an image (Nero Backup does this). Backup your registry. Then when your system won't boot, you can try to restore your registry. If that doesn't work, do a restore from the image backups from CD. Since your data and programs are on a different partition, you won't have to reinstall any of them.

I think Window XP has some kind of restore feature, but do you really trust it? I don't. Do the backup yourself and you'll know exactly how to restore everything.

Don't get too mad at Dell. It's hard enough to fix computers when you're right in front of it. It is much harder to do it over the phone.

Regards,

Eric

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There was an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer today about Dell's poor customer service. A reporter got jakked and used his big mouthpiece [​IMG]

15. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

16. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

The PROBLEM here is that you were using a Norton product. For SHAME. I would NEVER install ANYTHING Norton as programs like that tend to fuck with your registry. It sounds to me like you got a new dell, and the first thing anyone knows in IT is when you get a dell you wipe the HD clean right away.

17. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I hope that if you DO end up having to reinstall the OS that you have it on a disc and not one of those terrible "system Restore" discs.
    My first PC was a Packard Bell and my second was a Compaq, After the headaches with those two proprietary nightmares I knew enough about PC's to build my own.
    BTW: If anyone farts a "Buy a Mac" reply in this thread so help me...

18. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

19. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

20. Eric Gan

Eric Gan Agent

Todd,

It IS possible to not have to restore your programs. If you backup an image of your OS partition, it will also include the registry information. So now, say Windows craps out, then you format and restore from the image backup. The registry will come back and all your programs will continue to work (they won't actually know that C:/ drive has been formatted and restored).

You should always install all programs to a separate partition from the OS because that makes it feasible to backup your entire OS partition onto CDs. A good size is probably 2 Gb for C: drive. That's 4 CDs to image the entire partition. A typical install of Windows takes up just under a gig, but you should leave room for certain things that must be installed on C:, plus plenty of room for the swap file.

Go out and get a pack of CD-RWs to do the image backups. Make backing up a part of your routine (every few weeks, or before any major installation). Trust me, you won't regret it. Seems like lots of work, but that fateful day when Windows decides to take a break, you'll be laughin'. Remember to get the right software to do the image backups. It is NOT simply dragging files in C: drive onto CDRs.

Regards,

Eric