What's new

Dell DVI - Help Soon Please (1 Viewer)

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone,
I own a Dell 3200MP. Not even 30 minutes ago I received the Bravo D1 DVD player with DVI output. I could have sworn someone told me the Dell 3200MP has DVI compatability. On Dell's website it even says it has "Great connectivity — supports S-Video, Composite Video (RCA), Component Video and analog and DIGITAL inputs" Emphasis on the digital part.
Anyways, I immediately ran to my projector to get this baby running and see if it helped the picture quality at all. I also received a monster cable 2 meter cable. Here is the link to the cable I got. http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1868

So I run downstairs and begin to set up. I plug the DVI cable into the Bravo D1, its nice and brand new feeling. Then I take the other end of the cable to the Dell 3200MP and quickly realize that there is no place for me to plug it in. There is an input port labeled M1 Signal on the projector and it looks similar to a DVI input but it is larger than the hookup on the cable. What is going on? Does my projector not have DVI? Does my projector actually have DVI but I need a different cable? Please help me ASAP. I'd hate to have asked for a DVD player that I wanted specifically for the DVI if I can't even use it. My parents went through all the trouble of ordering it since they're on backorder. I just got the Band of Brothers DVD's so I really want to get things running with this DVD player. Please help me. Thanks. Matt

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
The DVI ports, both single and dual, look similar. If the Dell can accept DVI you would have no trouble locating the port. It's rectangular in shape. PacificCable.com has good diagrams of the 2 types of DVI ports. It would appear that the Dell doesn't accept DVI.

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
I found this on a website. What does all this mean?

Special Interest - Home Theatre and Electronics

DVI connection to the 3200MP Options

Print this Message
E-Mail this Message to a Friend
Report Abuse to a Moderator

TMJ1
Forum Member

Viewed 275 times

Dell makes a MP1 connector to DVI cable, but does anyone know if this is a true "digital" connection or does it use the analog DVI cable? I currently use the VGA connection to the pc to show movies, but would like to have a higher quality signal.

12-05-2003 05:50 PM

Re: DVI connection to the 3200MP Options

Erikt
Forum Member

Viewed 196 times

The specs all say digital input, (M1-DA Connector for Analog/Digital/Component/HDTV signal and Mouse), and DVI is Digital Video Interface, not to be confused with DVI-A which is a connector type that has connectors for an anlog signal, a DVI-D conector passes only the digital signal, and a DVI-I connector has internal connectors for both analog and digital. From a yahoo search:

DVI-I:
DVI-I contains both the digital and analog connections, (DVI-D + DVI-A) , it's essentially a combination of DVI-D and DVI-A cables within one cable.

DVI-D:
DVI-D (like DFP or P&D-D (EVC)) is a digital only connection. If both devices being connected support a Digital DVI connection (DVI-I or DVI-D compatible) and are compatible in resolutions, refresh rates and sync, using a DVI-D cable will ensure that you are using a digital connection rather than an analog connection, without playing around with settings to assure this.

DVI-A:
DVI-A is really rare. Why use a DVI connector when you can use a cheaper VGA connector?

DVI-M1 is DVI-I, but adds USB and 1 pin for high power 2amps) at 5volts. I'm not sure what the power would be there for but I don't think it's used by the projector or video card.

On that note... has anyone used a standard DVI to DVI M/M cable to connect the projector to the DVI output on a video card (I'm using the all-in-wonder)? I dont need the mouse pointer features and would like to skip the $40. M1/DVI/USB dongle.

12-13-2003 09:00 PM

TMJ1
Forum Member

Viewed 193 times

I ordered the DVI cable with the hopes it was a true digital connection, although I called tech support and the guy told me it was analog. After looking at the picture closely, it appears as if it is a single link dvi-d connection. I am hoping this will clean up the already good picture, just a little bit more.

12-13-2003 11:35 PM

minyime
Forum Member

Viewed 143 times

Yes, it is DVI-D to M1-DA cable. And, it works great with my FX5200 Ultra.

I really am confused right now. The connection on my 3200MP looks similar to a DVI input just a little bit bigger. This makes sense if, according to this post, the input adds one pin for high power amps. I'm not sure. Whats going on? Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks