What's new

Dell DJ (1 Viewer)

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my new "Dell Pocket DJ" 5MB MP3 player yesterday and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them...This is my first MP3 player and was wondering if I made the right choice...BTW blind purchase...was going to go with the Apple Mini IPOD but decided to go with the Dell (since I own a Dell computer)
Any thoughts.....

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
My husband has one and is very happy with it. I believe it's a Creative Nomad inside, just repackaged for Dell. Well, at least his is. He's had it for a year and it's the older, 20GB style.

Is there anything in particular you want to know?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just a heads up, rumor is a new iPod Mini will be announced duing the Macworld Expo, which is going on now.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Dell raised their prices when they released the new DJ's a couple months ago, along with the mini, but I still prefer mine to my GF's ipod mini. Not to mention it was almost $150 cheaper.

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
This may be a silly question but....how do you stop a track from playing...I don't see a "stop" button, I just shut it off when Im done listening.
Leila...How long does your husbands player last between charges, the specs says "12 hours of continuous play" on the pocket DJ at least...but to me it seems Im charging mine every 2 days (about 6 hours of use)
...And has anyone experience any drop outs...and if so how do you correct them
....Thanks for all of your help
So many questions...So little time
:)

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
I was sceptical of Apple and the iPod so when I started looking at the various MP3 player offerings, I did a LOT of research into other alternatives. After speaking with coworkers who have different players I found that my decision didn't get much easier. There are pros and cons for each.

HOWEVER, after I played around with an iPod for a while and started to read a few iPod forums, I was strongly leaning in that direction so I mentioned to my wife that I would really like an iPod for the holidays and she (very thoughtfully) bought a 4th generation 20gig model for me.

A couple of friends received other players for the holidays as well so now I've had some more time to compare and I have to say that the iPod is the hands-down winner.

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. Sure there may be the problem of replacing the battery and a few other issues, but the iPod has really matured over the last few years. The features and overall quality are worth the pricetag.

I don't mean to put down your Dell product, but I would recommend spending some time at an Apple store in your area. The employees are very helpful and you can really play around with the products before you buy.

Good luck!

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I'm listening to music on my Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30 GB (is the name long enough?) as I'm typing this. I thought about an Ipod but for $100 less and 10 GB more, the Nomad was the way to go. I wasn't too crazy about converting my WMA music to I-tunes, either.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

What type of headphones are you using? A few people I know have switched to quality phones and not been pleased with the ipod's sound quality. Even with cheap phones the DJ sounds better to me, and I like the EQ.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
$120 shipped is a good price since it's listed at $199 on their website.

Another thing to think about is the aftermarket products available for these gizmos. I find myself using my iPod more and more, and Alpine & Pioneer are making digital adapters so you can control your iPod directly from your car's head unit, not to mention using your receiver's DACs. There's also the choice of protective caddies/skins, radio transmitters, sound docks...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

I had a couple coupons that I stacked up. ;)

the ipod has the market cornered on gadgets for sure. The GF has an altec inmotion for work and a griffin itrip mini for the car, and is happy with both.

SarahG

Second Unit
Question about the mp3 players: And this relates to either an iPod or the Dell. I'm deciding between the two.

1. Generally speaking, can you download the software that comes with the devices on more than one computer?

and...

2. Can I load ANY music files on my mp3 player? For instance, if I have the the software downloaded on a computer and I pull music files(mp3, wav) from a network into my folder from which I want to transfer music files onto the device, are there any problems doing such things? I hope this makes sense and these questions aren't too elementary...

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
the text on my screen seems to fade "in & out" going back and forth to a empty blue screen on my pocket DJ...
would reseting the DJ fix the problem or is this a manufacturer's defect?

James T

Screenwriter
I was leaning towards an iPod after reading a few reviews. The Toronto Star had a comparison review before X-mas. Then I tried out the iPod at a store, and couldn't resist not picking it up.

This is probably it.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
^^Yea that's a fan-created fake. :) Here's some more:

Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3

Looks like Apple is screwing themselves over by releasing the Shuffle and not upgrading the mini. Still one day left at Macworld though, we'll see.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
^^^ Those fakes look pretty nice, design-wise compared to the final product.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i know, that blue 'ipod micro' looks great. i think it would be a little too small to manage though. i have average size hands for a guy, and ifind my 20 GB ipod to be the right size for me. my friends brother got an ipod mini for xmas, but he didnt have a computer, so i put a bunch of cds on it for him, and i found the ipod mini to be too small for me, it gets lost in my hand, sort of. if the ipod micro existed, i think it would be just too small. but it looks great though :)

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks