1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Dell Copmuter Received, a few questions...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Sep 7, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Is a Pentium 4 2.6 GHZ supposed to be faster than a P3 1GHZ? So far, I don't notice that much of a speed difference....

Also, the Wireless keyboard works perfectly, but the Wireless mouse leaves alot to be desired.... It keeps on moving the mouse pointer up to the upper left side of the screen. Anyone else with a Dell Dimension 8300 have this problem? Other than that, so far I'm rather happy with it. It's got to last me the next 5r years before I get another computer [​IMG]...

I'm also wondering what Folders in Windows XP(This is Proffesional Version, on my old computer, I had Home Version) I can delete]. I'm not sure what Dell put on, and what Windows XP had installed and needs to function...

Thanks!

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I used this guide for Pro but make sure you read the descriptions and know what you're disabling before you do it. Anything networking and the Print spooler shouldn't be disabled. That and I didn't download the extra benchmakring programs he recommended. My XP Pro runs pretty damn fast now.

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Yes, a 2.6P4 should be faster than that P3. A couple of things might factor in: (1) you may not notice the difference between "nearly instant" (P3) and "even more instant" (P4); (2) there are other bottlenecks in the system, like the hard drive and video card; (3) the P4 has less of an advantage with regular "business" apps, but does really well with "multimedia", like MP3 or video encoding.

Since we're talking about Dell systems with XP, one that I got seems to be creating temp directories in the root directory. Whenever I run an install, I get these directories with twenty or so random numbers and letters. Sometimes they get cleaned up, sometimes not, but I'd prefer they get created in a subdirectory. Is there any setting(s) that controls that?

//Ken

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

DELL

40afa64badea1649ec

c945cedd913acfacb4a6

and

I386

Are directories I'm wondering about if I can delete or not..

Thanks [​IMG].

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I wouldn't delete the I386 folder. They may have copied that folder over from the XP install disc so that when you update drivers you don't have to stick in your XP disc. That's why it's rather large (it contains a lot of the sys files that updates generally ask for, thus requiring you to put in your XP CD).