Delivery of my RPTV--Unhappy Experience

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DaleI, May 20, 2004.

1. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

I was excited this morning because I knew by afternoon I would have a Toshiba 51h83 upstairs in my home theater.
    Well...The two delivery men took it off the truck as I watched them. They had to take it out of the box to get it up the one step and inside the front door.

The hard part was getting it up six stairs and around the corner in the desired room. As the two men struggled up the stairs, we heard what sounded like loose change with each step they took--coming from the rear of the TV. Only after getting it in the room, one of the guys noticed the screen: it was chipped in several places, and the top two corners of the set were cracked too. After they left there were small chips of glass everywhere. Back down the steps with the TV they came, disgusted with themselves for not inspecting it earlier.

I don't believe I'm going out on a limb by suggesting that the loose change sound wasn't normal--even tilting it to go upstairs. And unless they hit every pothole along the route, the delivery men weren't to blame since I watched their every step.

Oh well, this has happened to many of you, I'm sure.
    It makes me think just how rugged the Toshiba is--it shakens your confidence a bit. Are all RPTVs that delicate that tilting it makes it sound like a slot machine? It really sounded like a few hundred coins shaking around in there.

Now I await another delivery date and hopefully a pristine set!

--Dale

2. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Dale,

I don't think that you have too much to worry about here. There are times when this happens with every manufacturer's display. More than likely something happened to that set and you just happened to be the one that it ended up going to. I have had many clients and friends that have received displays without any issues. Make sure they send you a brand new display and inspect it before they leave - you should be fine.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Keep us updated!

Regards,

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This happens, as David says. Shipping damage -- either from the factory to the warehouse or to the store's warehouse to your home. When the replacement unit arrives, reject it the moment you hear anything loose rattling. Insist on maximum gentle treatment from the delivery guys. Don't be afraid to hover over them like a nervous Nellie; it's your money.

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I bought a Mitsubishi set in Jan that died about 6 weeks after I got it home, so I feel your pain. The dealer I used was very helpful and gave me a loner until the new one arrived since it couldn't be replaced that day. The new one works great.

5. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I had the most pleasant delivery experience back in Septmebr 2000, when my RPTV was delivered. Imagine my elation when I discovered that the 53" 16x9 RPTV I bought and paid for, but they actually delivered the 58" model. [​IMG]

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Did it even work? It sounds like the mirror broke or something. RPTVs should be handled relatively carefully for many reasons...

7. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    Loose change sound, bits of broken glass left behind - it definitely sounds like the mirror inside broke.

8. Joe Blech

Joe Blech Stunt Coordinator

Mackie,
    My Mitsubishi WS-55413 died last night. What was your set doing? I hope that the place where I bought mine is as accomidating as yours! I hope this is not a reflection of Mitsubishi's reliability. I'm sure that's not the case, as I have heard only good comments in regards to the Mits RPTV's!

9. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

John Co.....sounds like a Pioneer??

10. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Alan, yes it is.

11. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I had my Elite 520 sent to Bermuda from Tweeter in Salem, NH. I would have been doing backflips if that happened to me. What a nice surprise!!

12. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Actually this whole thing may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. After much thought and a rethinking about screen size/sitting distance/etc, I am actually going to go with the Hitachi 57s500 model instead of the Toshiba model.
    I was initially concerned about the logistics of getting a larger set up my six steps and around a corner, but I understand this Hitachi cabinet has a two piece design; and it's not a bad set either. $1999.00 at Circuit City, but Sears will beat that--so they tell me.

I'll let you know what happens next week in this delivery saga.