Deliverance SE apparently in the works

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe:C, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

It seems that John Boorman is at least doing a commentary for an upcoming Deliverance SE. I got this info from a post on Dvd Talk, although the original article is from Home Media Retailing. I'll repost some relevant info from that thread.

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Well, right on! That transfer has needed upgrading from the very first days of DVD, way too much EE.

3. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

Good flick, not sure if I'd double-dip.

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'm not going to argue with any Boorman being released on DVD, although I do wish they'd get to some of the unreleased material. Warner also has Excaliber for which there is a making of documentary available for.

It would also be nice to see a proper reissue of Hope & Glory with an anamorphic transfer and commentary (although that's now with Sony I believe), and if Fox were thinking of a new version of Zardoz I know of a few more very tasty extras I should be able to lay my hands on.

We still don't have Beyond Rangoon to name one still MIA.

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

That is great news, Joe - thanks! I love Deliverance, but the existing transfer bothers me for many reasons: excessive edge-enhancement; needless, albeit slight windowboxing; slight fading in some scenes. After hearing the excellent Point Blank commentary, I began thinking about a special edition of Deliverance. All the actors are still alive, so a decent documentary could be created. The existing, vintage extras on the current disc are excellent, with the featurette on Dickey being a real gem.

Hopefully, we'll hear more about this over the next few months - as you may recall, the announcement for the Point Blank DVD came out of nowhere, it seemed!

6. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Yeah, current disc is okay, but the edge enhancement is pretty distracting. I'm looking forward to the new transfer and some nice extras!

7. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Well, Warners does now own BEYOND RANGOON through Castle Rock, so I wouldn't be surprised if he tapes a commentary for that about the same time as the DELIVERANCE track.

What I would love but we'll never see is a commentary track for EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC and all the various endings the film has carried over the years. For as many people who ridicule it, it has just as many fervent partisans, including no less than Martin Scorsese!

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

What has Scorsese said about The Exorcist II, Mark?

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

great news indeed

10. Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci Cinematographer

Quote (originally posted by Gordon McMurphy):

"What has Scorsese said about The Exorcist II, Mark?"

I'm not Mark but here's the quote in question:

"Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977, John Boorman). Again, we're dealing with metaphysics. The picture asks: Does great goodness bring upon itself great evil? This goes back to the Book of Job; it's God testing the good. In this sense, Regan (Linda Blair) is a modern-day saint -- like Ingrid Bergman in Europa '51, and, in a way, like Charlie in Mean Streets. I like the first Exorcist, because of the Catholic guilt I have, and because it scared the hell out of me; but The Heretic surpasses it. Maybe Boorman failed to execute the material, but the movie still deserved better than it got."

You may also wish to read the entire article which certainly makes for interesting reading, although personally I'd have to question some of his choices, which aren't really all that guilty[​IMG]:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/a...x.php/t-223042

11. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

C'mon, snap outta it, Marty, ya fuckin' mook! I bin' lis'nin ta this shit fah thurdy fuckin' yeahz! [​IMG]

Thanks, Mario!

PS: I share Scorsese's love for many of those films he talks about, especially the Andre de Toth films. The lack of de Toth on DVD is scandalous.

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I had been trying to get Warner to include Boorman's pre Point Blank documentary on D.W. Griffiths in the set, but couldn't contact them. There is already a useable transfer available, which I hope gets released somewhere. Great news on the Beyond Rangoon front. Anyone think we'll ever see a Catch Us if you Can release? I don't think Boorman would have much positive to say on that one. We still need a proper release of Hell in the Pacific, preferably with commentary. john has a lot to say about it in his biography, although the commentary on Point Blank pretty much covers everything juicy said in the book.

13. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

A "Deliverance" SE? At least with this being a Warner Bros. title (a studio that still respects its films), we know it won't be called The "Squeal Like a Piggy" Edition.

I've been waiting for an SE before I'll actually buy this. I love the film, but I'm good at waiting for fully-loaded, highest quality titles to come out. This SE really should have a featurette on the "Dueling Banjos" phenomenon. I'd enjoy that, even if it's done in 'tongue-in-cheek' style.

14. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Or the "Purty Mouth" Edition. [​IMG]

15. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Any new info on this?

16. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Note to Warner marketing department: It's time to implement the "talking" box that other studios have used to great success. Imagine the customer's delight, upon picking up the new SE of DELIVERANCE and pressing the photo of Ned Beatty (with a "Press Here" arrow strategically pointing to his ass), to hear a sound-clip of the great thespian squeeling "WEEEEEEE! WEEEEEEE!"

Special packaging: $2.00.
    Pay off Ned Beatty/defend self in lawsuit: $20 million.
    The sound of squealing pigs in the DVD aisles at Best Buy: Priceless.

17. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

18. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Or they could have a trivia subtitle track like on the Terminator 2 extreme edition.

"To create the emotion of being raped by a redneck, Ned Beatty used the memory of passing a kidney stone, which happened five years earlier"

Of course, the branching feature would use the head of the toothless guy as an icon.

19. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

I would welcome new transfers from restored prints of Deliverance and Excalibur (black bars would be nice too - it makes those films look more arty).

20. Chris*W

Chris*W Stunt Coordinator

Any update on this?