Delicatessen yet?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BobH, Mar 31, 2004.

1. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

Any news or rumors about the release or even progress on Jeunet and Caro's Delicatessen?

2. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

3. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Delicatessen is a Miramax film that they licensed to Paramount for x # of years. Thus, Paramount won't mess with it with the license running out sometime soon. I'm not sure how long the license was for.

It'd be hard to beat the UK release though. It's terrific.

Jeff

4. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

Aarrrggghh. So I spend $67 + shipping + $15 for a movie I have never seen. I don't know about that, guys. From discussions here, I have not been impressed with the special content in other regions than R1.

On the other hand, renting or buying the VHS is not likely either and Paramount has no reason to release it. Sounds like a dead end. Thanks anyway for at least clearing that up.

5. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

Well the $67 wouldn't be for just the one movie. Half of the things people complain about not being out here, can be had elsewhere. Just in the last week or two, we've had threads asking for How To Steal A Million, High Anxiety and now Delicatessen, all of which are available elsewhere with terrific transfers. Once you have a region-free player, trust me, you'll be in heaven with all the stuff you can get.

As for the special content, Delicatessen has commentary from the director in French with English subtitles.

Jeff

6. Jason Bovberg

Jason Bovberg Stunt Coordinator

Although I happily own the R2 version, the image quality (even though it's anamorphic) is pretty terrible.

7. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

Are you sure we're talking about the same version? I have this one and thought it looked great. What about it made you think it was terrible?

Jeff

8. Jason Bovberg

Yeah, that's the one I wasn't too impressed with. Lots of digital blocking and a lack of sharpness. It seems an overly grainy, unstable image. I predict that an eventual US release will improve the image quite a bit.

9. Brian PB

I will have to disagree with you as well, Jason. I thought the transfer looked fine. The film itself is grainy by design, with a muddy color palette that befits the subject.

I checked 8 different reviews of the R2 edition, and all are overall complimentary about the video quality. None describe it as "pretty terrible". A sampling of reviews (courtesy of the essential DVD-Basen search engine):

DVD Times
    DVD Reviewer
    BBC Online
    DVD Maniacs
    FrenchFilmsOnDVD

10. Jason Bovberg

Okay. [​IMG] On my larger screen, flaws are perhaps more pronounced.

11. Brian PB

I feel as if the size of my screen (and--therefore--my manhood) has been insulted. For the record, it measures 60". [​IMG]

12. Jason Bovberg

Sorry. :b Meant to say simply "large."

13. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Brian,
    Thanks for pointing out the price at CDWOW.
    I just placed my order. I've been wanting to get this for awhile, but the price wasn't right.

14. Brian PB

No problem, Chris.

Slightly off-topic, there's an excellent UK-based all-region DVD price checker that I've found very helpful:

http://www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk/

Note that not all foreign etailers ship to North America (and vice-versa); some (like Amazon UK) don't charge the 17.5% VAT to customers in non-EU countries, while others do; and there is wide variability in shipping charges.

15. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

IFC has been playing that movie all this month. You can catch a movie and see if you like it for free. (Assuming you have that channel on your cable or satellite.) I Tivo'd it a couple of weeks ago and didn't enjoy it as much as the first time. Although there are some moments in the film that I really enjoy (like the musical scenes.)

The City of Lost Children is a better film that you should get before Delicatessen.

16. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

Hard to argue with you about Deli vs Children but I found CoLC to be visually fascinating but the plot very muddy. An occaisional rental. I just found a left over Deli on Amazon in VHS (yech) for $8. An expensive rent but a cheap way to see what so many here rave about.

17. Al Stuart

Al Stuart Stunt Coordinator

This is not the way to see the film. The VHS is one of the worst transfers I've seen of any modern film and quite awkwardly cropped. My girlfriend at the time didn't understand what I had seen in the film when I rented the VHS from the library, as the image was so ugly. She finally got it when I showed her the aforementioned R2 disc, which I am very happy with, especially the menus. Having seen the film in the theater during its initial run, I can say that it is supposed to look as it does on the disc.

COLC is quite brilliant by the way, and the plot begins to become clearer on a second viewing (though I picked it up the first time).

18. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter