Delicatessen - 05/02/06

Discussion in 'DVD' started by LorenzoL, Jan 20, 2006.

1. LorenzoL

LorenzoL Second Unit

2. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    Excellent! Another film on my DVD wish list can be scratched off!

3. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

Great, hopefully this means more Miramax tirtles that Paramount put out on LD and VHS like ENCHANTED APRIL, DOUBLE LIFE ON VERONIQUE, CLOSE TO EDEN, TOTO THE HERO, DUST DEVIL, K2 (one of my favs, the Canadian release wasn't that hot)), KAFKA, MINDWALK, and even CHILDREN OF THE CORN 2 and HELLRAISER 3!

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

FUCK!

5. Jesse Brickzin

Jesse Brickzin Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] Cool, one of my favorite movies...

6. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Ha, sorry for my outburst (big Jeunet fan here). DavisDVD to the rescue:

[​IMG]

7. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

[​IMG]

8. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Very cool.
    I imported it from the UK a while back. I didn't want to wai anymore....

9. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig

Me too! Unfortunately (??) I just got this 2 weeks ago from the UK, tired of having it on my list for years and waiting (it was also pretty cheap IIRC).

Sounds like it has what's on the R2 Momentum version, possibly will include the same teasers and trailer since it has all the rest.

Do we have a runtime? I'm curious if it'll be a PAL->NTSC conversion.

10. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

Craig F,

See, I should thank you, because you just finally gave up and ordered the UK version is why they decided to announce a region one version.
    [​IMG]

THANK YOU!

I, too, am glad that they are not going "bare bones" since the UK version has special features.

As much as I love his other films, this is the one I am the most apt to watch and watch and watch.

11. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ Anything else we're seriously missing in R1?[​IMG] If they announce a decent R1 Shallow Grave soon, you know who to thank...

Oh yeah, the subs on the R2 Deli are player-generated, wouldn't mind if they did something about that for R1, but I know some prefer it that way and it's more "universal".

Edit: I just mentioned the player-generated subs because they take me out of the film a bit, don't look as nice as burned-in ones like I see in the theater, at least with my players. Have to target an audience's language though.

Anyway, watched the R2 version again since I have a lousy memory and it's been a couple of weeks: the framing on the R2 is obviously a bit narrow. There's a letter or two missing from names in the credits...I wouldn't have known otherwise...maybe they'll fix that up for the R1.

Must admit I thought it odd that they had dubs in a few languages but not English. I don't listen to dubs, but I know some prefer them. Though my French isn't good enough to pick up the nuances of dark comedy language, it's good enough to pick up mis-translations of certain words. Like a translation of "darn it!" for "shit!" IMO would be nice to have fixed up too...there's more, but that sort of change changes the attitude of the character's speech.

I'm only mentioning these R2 version things because I expect there won't be a lot of changes for R1, but there *could* be noticeable improvements. The PQ and SQ were quite acceptable for a film of this pedigree.

12. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

Just think about all those poor people who've seen Amelie and are going to pick this up based upon the cover expecting the same sort of quirky humor. [​IMG]

13. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I hope this is an indication of a Double Life release, but I won't get my hopes up.

It's amazing that after many titles have been triple-dipped, Delicatessen only now gets an R1 release.

With the long wait for R1 releases of many foreign films on a extremely popular format, I can only imagine how long it'll take for them to be released on high defintion when that market is likely to remain a niche.

14. Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

Finally!

I've never seen this. I've been waiting for a DVD release. I thought City of Lost Children as well as Amelie were great. And a good friend who shares my love for that kind of dark visual imagery told me that this is the one to see!

I can't wait! It's about goddamn time!

15. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Would be cool to get a DVD with Jeunet's shorts also...

[​IMG]

16. ThomasTreasure

I'm hoping that the feature "The Archives of Jean-Pierre Jeunet" is just that.

EDIT: Never mind, the R2 has the same feature, which DVD Times describes as "a seven minute collection of screen-tests and rehearsal footage that seemed to have been thrown in for the sake of inclusion."