What's new

deleting jpegs (1 Viewer)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I've heard these critters can build up over the years and can start to take up alot of hard drive space. I need to know how to go in and find out which jpegs are the biggest, there's got to be a jillion of them ,have had this computer for 5 years and have Windows ME OS. with a 1 Gig hard drive.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Being computer illiterate, maybe I'm confused here. I was thinking that all photos, headers,etc. viewed from websites are jpegs and end up on the hard drive, taking up space.

John Watson

Screenwriter
If I'm not mistaken, Windows puts jpegs in the My Documents / My Pictures folders by default.

Open Windows Explorer (from the Start button / Programs button, and then go to your My Pictures area and just select them and delete. It will show you the size of each jpeg file if you only want to delete big ones.

But if you haven't actually been saving jpegs when you visited sites, you may not have many of them on board anyway. :)

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
It sounds as though you wish to clear your 'Temporary Internet Files' which include jpegs, Web pages, and other temporary, delete-able files. You can do this with the click of a button.

In Internet Explorer, you click the 'Tools' menu; 'Internet Options'; click 'Delete Files'. In Netscape or Mozilla, go into (if I recall) 'Edit' menu; 'Preferences'; 'Advanced'; 'Cache'; 'Clear Cache' button.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tips guys. Isn't there a way to be able to manually pick and choose which ones to delete? Last time I did this was many years ago on my old computer. I just remember there were a ton of them on my hard drive.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Yes, go directly to the files with Windows Explorer, select (highlight) them one at a time, or in a group, with your cursor.

Then click delete.

After you've deleted the files you want, go to your Recyle Bin, and delete its contents, and you will have the space back on your hard drive.

Th only concern is that you delete only the files you want, because after you empty your Recyle Bin, they are gone.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Can you really run MS Windows ME with a 1 gig hard drive?

Between low disk space and ME that sounds like a match made in crash heaven. Or was that just a typo?

Mike

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
You're right Mike, actually I found out it's 4 gigs. :) Thanks Andrew, what I was looking for are actually temporary internet files and I was able to access them in the internet options section clicking on settings and view files boxes. Only problem now is when I try to open one of the files I get a message box saying "Running a system command on this item might be unsafe. Do you wish to Continue?" So I clicked no to play it safe.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Figured so Karl ~ Hope you solve your Jpeg problem! Also, I'm not sure what sort of budget you're on, but buying an internal hard drive (even if its only 20 gigs) would really ease up the load on your hard drive now, and might make things run smoother. Just a thought though, and they can be had for pretty cheap new, and even cheaper used.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks