Deleting download music question (Kazaa)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_lb, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

My parents recently purchased a new Dell Desktop and I have been downloading some music that I cannot find in local stores (I've done about 75 songs so far- damn I want my own broadband line!). Anyway, they said that I can download as much music as I want, provided that I erase it soon after I burn it to CD. I understand that their hard drive is able to hold this information with no problem (and them some), however, it is their computer and I have to respect their wishes. So, when I go to delete the songs after downloading them, I go to my "music library", right click on the selected song and click "delete." A window then pops up and asks "Are you sure you want to delete the selected file?" I click "Yes." Is that all there is? For some reason, when I used to use Napster I seem to remember having to do more than that.

Also, Napster had an "incomplete folder" for downloads that users terminated before the songs were finished. I see no such folder in Kazaa. Can anyone tell me if one exists or how I can delete songs that may indeed be incomplete?

Again, I realize that the hard drive has more than enough storage space, however, I have to respect my parent's wishes as it is their computer and not mine.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Kazaa holds the downloaded data in .dat files, prefixed with a bunch of numbers. These files should be present in your download file directory.

When you cancel a download, kazaa deletes these files. If you pause it, or close it without cancelling, it stays there until it is either canceled, or finsihed downloading.

Once it finishes downloading, it converts it to the file type of the original file (you cant 'play' incomplete dat files that kazaa creates)

3. Scott_lb

so, just to verify:

1. I want to download a song in the MP3 format, and it's original format ends in .mp3 (songwhatever.mp3).

2. During the time that the file is being sent (but is not complete yet) it is a .dat file in the computer, which I cannot play.

3. After the file has finished the entire transfer, it "changes" from a .dat file to a .mp3 file, which I can indeed play.

4. If I cancel a file while it is still a .dat (during transfer, for example) it is indeed being erased from the computer.

Please let me know if I've got this right.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yes thats correct 100%

Just to clarify, until it is finished downloading, the file will stay as a .dat file until it is completely finished downloading.

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Just remember, it takes much more than a simple delete to get rid of information of a hard drive...you might want to look into something like BCWipe. This is not a be all end all solution but it's better than just deleting.

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

7. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Scott: You actually CAN listen to the dat files without renaming anything.

Go into KaZaa and right-click on a file that is downloading. Click the Preview/Play button and the song you're downloading should play. The farther along the song is, the better. It should help you decide whether or not a file is worth downloading before you finish downloading it. [​IMG]

8. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

You can drag the .dat file into Winamp and play it without having to rename it. I think Kazaa has trouble with high CBR or VBR files. This works for mpeg files too, you can open them in MPlayer2.
    and with 4., the file is not erased until you exit completely out of Kazaa.

... and on a related note, today I found out that Winamp can play incomplete .zip archives that were downloaded from WinMX. Not sure why this is, but the archive had a .mp3 extension after the .zip (so file.zip.mp3). Files were fine (and seperate) when I unzipped it.

9. Scott_lb

Thanks for help!

10. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I hope your parents are aware that Kazaa is one of the most spyware-laden pieces of software out there. Do them a favor and install Kazaa Lite, WinMX, Blubster, or a number of other non-invasive programs to download music.

11. Scott_lb

By Spyware (a term I've not heard before), I assume that it somehow lets users to know what is on your computer (hence the name "Spy")?

12. Masood Ali

13. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Exactly.

Running Kazaa on a computer is roughly equal to having sex with that monkey from outbreak. It is laced with programs that mess with all your internet settings (including spawning popups, fwding you to particular sites for searches, resetting your home page, etc.)

In addition- there was that huge story about Brilliant Digital, which could turn all Kazaa machines into a giant network of hard drives for their clients.

Adawre is a must- but even that doesn't fix everything!

-Vince

14. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Do a yahoo search for Kazaa lite and one of the first hits will take you to a download site for it. It's a much better version to use.

15. Scott_lb

After reading that article on spyware, I learned much about the negative side effects of using such a program. Can I get rid of (most) of these side effects if I delete Kazaa from the computer?

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

17. Masood Ali

Scott, if you uninstall Kazaa, and run a free utility called Adaware (made by Lavasoft), you should be in the free and clear.

Ted, Kazaa speeds up your downloads by downloading bits of the file from different users and piecing the bits together to form a complete file. If you're downloading the first half from one user and the second half from another, and each user is transferring the file at 15k/sec, then you're effectively downloading the file at 30k/sec.

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ahh...thx masood! [​IMG]

19. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

20. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

FYI: Adaware hasn't been updating their files lately so it misses detecting a lot of spyware. Try Spybot instead. Do a search at google, etc, and you will find it.